Buck's statement on Kim and tonight's game

LookitsPuck

Nobody wants him to fail dude. But some also are very unrealistic to what he is. At a minimum, he isn't a good fit here because Buck doesn't think he is good enough to start and he isn't trusted defensively late in innings.

He was signed to address the OBP problem. All he's done in the limited AB's he's been allowed to have is to do so spectacularly. Regression is inevitable, but that doesn't mean he hasn't earned some respect. And maybe a little benefit of the doubt.

Dude.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nobody wants him to fail dude. But some also are very unrealistic to what he is. At a minimum, he isn't a good fit here because Buck doesn't think he is good enough to start and he isn't trusted defensively late in innings.

What exactly are people unrealistic about. As far as I can tell, no one has called for him to be an everyday starter over Rickard. Those who think Kim has potential have simply stated that they think he should get more playing time, be it giving Rickard a blow every now and then, or pinch hitting in certain situations that call for setting the table (I.e. Late innings and down by more than 1 run). The guy's numbers this far don't lie. He's also proven to be a very good base runner (avoiding a double play twice). He's come off the bench totally cold twice and in both instances produced base hits as a pinch hitter. I mean what else do you expect to see from him given his limited ABs?

Buck has started him 4 times so I'm not sure how you can say Buck doesn't think he is good enough to start on occasion. Let's be honest, Kim has THUS FAR made it seem like Buck's early assessment of him was premature and no one (including some posters) wants to admit that they may have been wrong about him. No one is saying he is a superstar and he may end up failing, but he is more than rising to the occasion in his limited opportunities and his numbers thus far reflect that.

He was signed to address the OBP problem. All he's done in the limited AB's he's been allowed to have is to do so spectacularly. Regression is inevitable, but that doesn't mean he hasn't earned some respect. And maybe a little benefit of the doubt.

Dude.

Clearly you know more than Buck.

Latos is the perfect kind of pitcher for Kim to face, with a fastball that sits 88-90. Kim hit him well and I'm glad.

I think people are getting too dramatic about Buck's use of Kim. They could have cut him, but didn't, so obviously they thought he ultimately was worth keeping. Rickard has played well, as have Trumbo and Reimold, and we've seen quite a few LH starters of late. I fully expect Buck will give Kim his chances, considering he has hit well when given the opportunity.

Latos is the perfect kind of pitcher for Kim to face, with a fastball that sits 88-90. Kim hit him well and I'm glad.

I think people are getting too dramatic about Buck's use of Kim. They could have cut him, but didn't, so obviously they thought he ultimately was worth keeping. Rickard has played well, as have Trumbo and Reimold, and we've seen quite a few LH starters of late. I fully expect Buck will give Kim his chances, considering he has hit well when given the opportunity.

I don't think it is obvious at all.

Rickard's play is consistently being overrated everywhere. He's had some big moments but he has a 91 wRC+ and metrics hate his defense enough that he's below replacement level right now. The sample size is too small to make any conclusions from that and he's got skills so I'm fine with him still getting his looks but this idea that he's been too good to sit down occasionally is silly. As of now, both his offense and defense have been below average.

Rickard's play is consistently being overrated everywhere. He's had some big moments but he has a 91 wRC+ and metrics hate his defense enough that he's below replacement level right now. The sample size is too small to make any conclusions from that and he's got skills so I'm fine with him still getting his looks but this idea that he's been too good to sit down occasionally is silly. As of now, both his offense and defense have been below average.

I think at the end of the day he'll be more of a useful fourth OF than a regular. But he was hot in ST and at the start of the year so I can't blame Buck for riding him. Jury is still out on whether he'll get more playing time than Kim over 162 games, even though he has started 22 of 23 games so far.

I think at the end of the day he'll be more of a useful fourth OF than a regular. But he was hit in ST and at the start of the year so I can't blame Buck for riding him. Jury is still out on whether he'll get more playing time than Kim over 162 games, even though he has started 22 of 23 games so far.

I have been enjoying seeing results in the small amount of playing time. He has not cost a game yet. Nor has he won one.

Baseball Reference has him a -0.7 WAR. I have seen some flaws with his glove but I just don't buy that. His glove is as bad as Trumbo? If so then why did Buck put his glove in the game?

They could also have given him more playing time in ST. They could also have kept their attempts to send him back to Korea private. Same goes for the failed attempt to persuade him to accept a minor league assignment when they mutually agreed to a ML deal. None of these things indicate to me a desire to keep him as anything other than a last resort.

If these things had been different, there would be no stage for any drama. Kim would simply be in the OF/DH mix rather than a story that's gaining momentum with every intelligent AB.

They could also have given him more playing time in ST. They could also have kept their attempts to send him back to Korea private. Same goes for the failed attempt to persuade him to accept a minor league assignment when they mutually agreed to a ML deal. None of these things indicate to me a desire to keep him as anything other than a last resort.

If these things had been different, there would be no stage for any drama. Kim would simply be in the OF/DH mix rather than a story that's gaining momentum with every intelligent AB.

Buck yesterday on Kim - still sticking to his guns re: need to sit back and evolve before playing regularly, if at all:

Showalter said. “This guy has been grinding and working and sometimes ... I was telling, it might have been Scott (Coolbaugh) today, that sometimes it might have been nice for him to take a little breather and kind of step back and get to watch a major league game and kind of step back because he’s a watcher. He watches the game. He likes to see things through, and I think in some ways today it may have kind of helped him to kind of step back and take some of the pressure off for a while.

“Even his batting practice has been a lot more crisp. He’s really worked hard at it.”

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2016/04/showalter-speaks-after-8-7-loss-2.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

?This guy has been grinding and working and sometimes ... I was telling, it might have been Scott (Coolbaugh) today, that sometimes it might have been nice for him to take a little breather and kind of step back and get to watch a major league game and kind of step back because he?s a watcher. He watches the game. He likes to see things through, and I think in some ways today it may have kind of helped him to kind of step back and take some of the pressure off for a while." [/url]

I saw that quote on masn but for the life of me, I have no clue what Buck is trying to say in that quote. Doesn't he "watch" major league games every day from the dugout when he doesn't play?

Archived