A month into the season, we need to start discussing Adam Jones

Enjoy Terror

Being the veteran on the team he deserves a really long leash. He was also injured for a little bit and still may be injured.

BUT:

YTD: 104PA, .200/.269/.274 1HR, 9R, 9RBI

Last 14 days: 55PA .196/.255/.235

Last 7 days: 25PA .125/.160/.125

:leaving:

You are going the wrong way budro. This team needs help from it's leader!

I personally think he's hurt and needs a DL stint to get physically and mentally in a place to help this team. Put Rickard in center and give regular at bats to Reimold and Kim.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think Buck is doing him any favors leaving him in the middle of the lineup.

Of course Adam won't want to come out, and maybe he shouldn't, but it's hard to ignore the numbers.

I am of two minds about where to put him in the batting order. If you want to get him going and believe he is healthy, then you put him in front of Manny, Davis, and Trumbo so that teams can't pitch around him. If he is playing hurt and is going to stink the whole year, you drop him to reduce the chances of him killing the team. Given his track record, I would go with the first option but it has gone on long enough that it's a tough call.

For what it's worth, he has made more long and hard outs than anybody on the team.

I'm pretty sure I'm obligated to come down on you like a ton of bricks for being anything but laudatory toward Jones.

To do otherwise would disrupt another poster's narrative.

In other news, while I do think injuries are playing a part I do think that he is beginning to enter his decline phase as a player. The questions are how graceful will be the decline and will the Orioles retain his services after his current contract expires.

While I don't disagree that Jones' best season is behind him, he should still be a very productive player for several more years. This is not a sign of that decline, IMO. But he is struggling right now. I wonder if his career goes the way of BRob; four overpaid pity years where everyone sours on the dude.

why in the world isn't he hitting 6th or lower in the lineup? would anyone disagree with this?

With all the greatness Buck brings to the ball club, you have to live with the questionable choices also. I wouldn't have Jones hitting 3rd or Wieters hitting 6th but this is the same manager who had a .285 OBP JJ Hardy in the 2 spot nearly all year a couple years back.

With that being said, if Jones keeps putting up these type of numbers he will be hitting lower than third soon. The twins pitching is some of the worst so maybe Buck is trying to see if Jones can get it going, who knows.

Good Adam Jones interview with Jim Hunter on the pre-game radio show. Paraphrasing a little bit, doing my best to write this up.

Jones said him and CD need to snap out of it and start contributing.

He said the fact guys like Manny, Trumbo, Rickard, and recently Pedro all hitting well helps in the sense you can try to ease your way back in the game instead of trying to press especially when you're slumping.

Baseball is a tough game, humbling game, trust me I'm trying to get out of this slump. Been in slumps before. If I wasn't healthy I wouldn't be out there and being that I'm out there playing I want to be productive and contribute etc

He said Manny's tremendous & as younger player he's a veteran leader and you try to get to his bats, batting gloves whatever, anything as he's on fire and you hope you can get some of that magic also.

I'm a little worried about Jones, but still a month away from worrying about his playing time or batting order position. He's getting on top of the ball and hitting too many grounders. He'll figure it out.

I'm a little worried about Jones, but still a month away from worrying about his playing time or batting order position. He's getting on top of the ball and hitting too many grounders. He'll figure it out.

I'm a little worried, but not quite to a lot worried. Will be there if we don't see some improvement once we reach June.

Jones said him and CD need to snap out of it and start contributing.

Nice of him to lump in a guy who's got a few more home runs & rbi's then he does .... and has no GIDP, while Jones leads the team w/ 8 (& for that reason alone, I wouldn't let him anywhere near the top of the lineup until he starts producing ... he's killing scoring chances)

Archived