A month into the season, we need to start discussing Adam Jones

Enjoy Terror

Good Adam Jones interview with Jim Hunter on the pre-game radio show. Paraphrasing a little bit' date=' doing my best to write this up.

Jones said him and CD need to snap out of it and start contributing.

He said the fact guys like Manny, Trumbo, Rickard, and recently Pedro all hitting well helps in the sense you can try to ease your way back in the game instead of trying to press especially when you're slumping.

Baseball is a tough game, humbling game, trust me I'm trying to get out of this slump. Been in slumps before. If I wasn't healthy I wouldn't be out there and being that I'm out there playing I want to be productive and contribute etc

He said Manny's tremendous & as younger player he's a veteran leader and you try to get to his bats, batting gloves whatever, anything as he's on fire and you hope you can get some of that magic also.[/quote']

Thanks for the paraphrase. At least Adam acknowledges that he's hitting poorly. Maybe he'd be open to the idea of being moved down in the order temporarily.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm a little worried about Jones, but still a month away from worrying about his playing time or batting order position. He's getting on top of the ball and hitting too many grounders. He'll figure it out.

Should have been DL'd the first week of the season. By this time, his arrow would be pointing up rather than down and being a below replacement level player the last four weeks.

They still need to. A healthy Jones will go a long way to making this team a threat down the stretch.

One of the most consistent players in baseball over the past few years. Only thing really worth discussing is the fact his probably won't make the All Star game for the 5th straight year.

Other than that, in the words of Viper, "keep sending him up!"

Should have been DL'd the first week of the season. By this time, his arrow would be pointing up rather than down and being a below replacement level player the last four weeks.

They still need to. A healthy Jones will go a long way to making this team a threat down the stretch.

Says he is healthy.

One of the most consistent players in baseball over the past few years. Only thing really worth discussing is the fact his probably won't make the All Star game for the 5th straight year.

Other than that, in the words of Viper, "keep sending him up!"

Of course.

Nice of him to lump in a guy who's got a few more home runs & rbi's then he does .... and has no GIDP, while Jones leads the team w/ 8 (& for that reason alone, I wouldn't let him anywhere near the top of the lineup until he starts producing ... he's killing scoring chances)

I was somewhat surprised at first he brought up CD but as the conversation went on it seemed he was talking about the not so distant past. Davis is 1 for his last 21 and the way Jones was talking it wasn't malicious or anything like that at all. Was more so, Davis and I are the veterans and we have to pull our weight and contribute as well and not have everyone else have to carry the load. Other than that he was only talking about his own struggles. From the way Jones was talking during the Davis part, it was very clear they get along extremely well and it was nothing.

I'm pretty sure I'm obligated to come down on you like a ton of bricks for being anything but laudatory toward Jones.

To do otherwise would disrupt another poster's narrative.

In other news, while I do think injuries are playing a part I do think that he is beginning to enter his decline phase as a player. The questions are how graceful will be the decline and will the Orioles retain his services after his current contract expires.

I don't think beginning to decline is the concern. If he keeps this up all season, it'd be tantamount to falling off a cliff. Something's physically wrong with the guy, and Buck's job, if he has one as the shepherd of multi-millionaires, is to sit AJ down for however long it takes to get him ready to play well.

He has to be hurt right? I heard/read so much that expected him to have his most productive season to date. We're going to be worse on defense with him on the DL, there's no debate, but if the team truly believes we can compete all year, he's gotta rest now and lean on the other guys to be productive

I know this probably won't happen, but...

It'd be interesting if Buck gave Jones two weeks to rest, to get himself feeling better physically and mentally.

During that time, Reimold and Kim would get more ABs. Rickard would play CF, and obviously Trumbo would still be in the mix.

I think this would be good for Jones (even if he didn't like the idea), and it would help to clarify our outfield picture moving forward.

Archived