If we are setting a goal of contending in 2010, the question is: do we want to draft for a player who will be ready in that year? From comments I've seen, I'm not the only one who'd like us to draft a player who will sign quickly, join Weiters at Bowie later this year and get a spring training invite in 2009 to become regulars either that year or the next.

So, of the players we are talking about, who do you project could do it? What year would you expect Tim Beckham or Hosmer to be ready? Could they go from Aberdeen to Bowie in a year and be knocking on the door in 2010?

Could Alverez be ready with Weiters? Smoak?

If we are setting a goal of contending in 2010, the question is: do we want to draft for a player who will be ready in that year? From comments I've seen, I'm not the only one who'd like us to draft a player who will sign quickly, join Weiters at Bowie later this year and get a spring training invite in 2009 to become regulars either that year or the next.

So, of the players we are talking about, who do you project could do it? What year would you expect Tim Beckham or Hosmer to be ready? Could they go from Aberdeen to Bowie in a year and be knocking on the door in 2010?

Could Alverez be ready with Weiters? Smoak?

Very unlikely anyone we select join Wieters this year -- it's unlikely they sign before August.

Very rough approximations, but this is what I'd expect as of today

Player (ETA)

Alvarez (2010 sometime)

T-Bex (mid 2012)

Matusz (depending on who drafts him, end of 2009 or sometime 2010)

Crow (same as Matusz, though I think it ends up 2012 after TJ-surgery)

Hosmer (end 2012 or early 2013)

Posey (end 2010 or early 2011)

G-Bex (mid-2011 or early 2012 -- I think he hits a wall at AA/AAA, but I am in the minority there)

Archived