The New High Water Mark Thread

Frobby

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm starting this thread as a place to note whenever we reach a new high water mark over .500. After starting the season 7-0, we reached a new high water mark of 8 games over .500 today, at 20-12.

I look forward to the OH posters updating this thread frequently this season!

Note that I started this thread only when we broke the old high water mark. Personally, I'm against bumping it when the team merely ties the old mark.

How about another 7 game win streak to get to +20?

You gotta be careful with those 7 game winning streaks. They can be easily discounted. If we have another 7 game winning streak that will mean we are basically a .500 team, because winning streaks are fluky.

Note that I started this thread only when we broke the old high water mark. Personally, I'm against bumping it when the team merely ties the old mark.

Frank, I am always the first defend you when others assert that you wield the "Frobby Jinx" power.

And I will continue to do so each and every time, because we all know that you or anyone else having any power to affect what happens on the field with the Baltimore Orioles with our posts and threads is nonsense.

So by the same token, I will tell you that your latest suggestion that the thread should only be bumped when we set a new high-water mark (as opposed to just tying it) is ...... nonsense. Whether or not the Orioles win or lose tomorrow will have nothing to do with my bumping of this thread, anymore than any Orioles losses that happened in the past had anything to with a so-called "Frobby Jinx."

Frank, I am always the first defend you when others assert that you wield the "Frobby Jinx" power.

And I will continue to do so each and every time, because we all know that you or anyone else having any power to affect what happens on the field with the Baltimore Orioles with our posts and threads is nonsense.

So by the same token, I will tell you that your latest suggestion that the thread should only be bumped when we set a new high-water mark (as opposed to just tying it) is ...... nonsense. Whether or not the Orioles win or lose tomorrow will have nothing to do with my bumping of this thread, anymore than any Orioles losses that happened in the past had anything to with a so-called "Frobby Jinx."

I never said I thought there was any kind of a jinx. It's very simple: this is the New High Water Mark Thread, not the Tied the Old High Water Mark Thread.

I never said I thought there was any kind of a jinx. It's very simple: this is the New High Water Mark Thread, not the Tied the Old High Water Mark Thread.

OK, fine.

But regardless, why the opposition, if not for superstitious reasons?

Are you that much of a stickler to adhering to the timing and reasons for the bump(s)?

Equaling the high-water mark at this point in the season seems to me to be almost as significant as breaking it.

OK, fine.

But regardless, why the opposition, if not for superstitious reasons?

Are you that much of a stickler to adhering to the timing and reasons for the bump(s)?

Equaling the high-water mark at this point in the season seems to me to be almosit as significant as breaking it.

First of all, I don't want to make this into a big deal, because it isn't. I'm not trying to be czar of the thread, just stating what my intention was when I started the thread.

My feeling is you can tie any particular high water mark multiple times (we've already reached 17 three times, for example), but each new high is reached only once, so the thread marks upward progress. But it's not a superstition thing and I'm not going to tell other people what to do. Just giving my own preference.

First of all, I don't want to make this into a big deal, because it isn't. I'm not trying to be czar of the thread, just stating what my intention was when I started the thread.

My feeling is you can tie any particular high water mark multiple times (we've already reached 17 three times, for example), but each new high is reached only once, so the thread marks upward progress. But it's not a superstition thing and I'm not going to tell other people what to do. Just giving my own preference.

OK, fair enough.

You're right, it's not a big deal.

The water's been this high before, so today does not represent the high water mark. Simple.

Archived