Updates on Hunter Harvey

Norfolk orioles

2 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

This was Harvey's longest outing of this still very-young season.

92% of the outs that he recorded (11 out of 12) came via the Strikeout and the Groundout.

12 OUTS: ) 5 Groundouts, 3 Flyouts, 2 Strikeouts, 2 Popouts

HUNTER LUKE HARVEY )))))) (vs. AA-Akron, 5/03)

IP:ll 4

H:lllll 6 )) (2 Doubles, 4 Singles)

R:lllll 4

BB:lll2

SO:lll2

Pitches: )l 69 (42 )Strikes, )27 )Balls)

2018 ERA: )l 1.08 )l(AA-Bowie))  12.33 IP  (5 ER)

2018 WHIP: )l 1.379 )l(AA-Bowie) )  12.33 IP  (17 H/BB)

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .261  )l(AA-Bowie) )  (12 for 46)

PITCHES BY INNING

14 lll(10 llStrikes, llll41 llBalls)

20 lll(10 llStrikes, ll10 llllBalls)

25 lll(14 llStrikes, ll11 llllBalls)

10 lll(81 llStrikes, llll21 llBalls)

o

You forgot to update his ERA.   Not sure about the other season stats.  

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You forgot to update his ERA. Not sure about the other season stats.  

o

Thanks, Frank.

They are all updated ........ if you scroll just the right right of his ERA and WHIP and the "AA-Bowie" phrases in parenthesis, you can see cream-colored/invisible statistics that provide everything that I calculated them with.

o

The comments thread here has a detailed report from someone who was there.

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2018/5/3/17315842/minor-league-ball-gameday-thursday-may-3rd-2018

Stuff sounded fine, but hitters were on it.  Not an encouraging Hays report, but some details on Indians Akron guys who might crop up in talks if Cleveland tries for Manny.

I was there. They barreled him a lot, I was disappointed. Saw him hit 96 a few times and 97 once. He had a clean 4th where he looked good. Got out of the first after a leadoff hit then a stolen base (that was very close at second if he wasn't actually out). Mullins and Hays were also unimpressive. Hays did have a nice throw from the wall to get a runner at second, who didn't slide after hesitating with the runner in front of him and I guess he was so surprised the throw was there on the fly. Hays did have a hard hit single late that deflected off the leaping SS glove, it was roped. Off game for the Baysox, shame because I'm sure that will be my only one this year.

Also: Random note, Bradley's first homer was a bomb, hit off the left center scoreboard halfway up.

Edited by scbalt52

o

This was Harvey's longest outing of the 2018 season.

15 OUTS: ) 5 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play), 4 Popouts, 2 Strikeouts, 2 Flyouts, 1 Caught Stealing

HUNTER LUKE HARVEY )))))) (vs. AA-Altoona, 5/09)

IP:lll5

H:llll 5 )) (5 Singles)

R:lllll 2

BB:lll0 ) *

Pitches: )l 81 (51 )Strikes, )30 )Balls)

2018 ERA: )l 3.63 )l(AA-Bowie) )  17.33 IP  (7 ER)

2018 WHIP: )l 1.269 )l(AA-Bowie) )  17.33 IP  (22 H/BB)

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .266  )l(AA-Bowie) )  (17 for 64)

* )) Harvey had 1 Hit Batsman

PITCHES BY INNING

19 ll(13 llStrikes, lllllBalls)

21 ll(13 llStrikes, lllllBalls)

11 lll(81 llStrikes, lllllBalls)

13 lll(81 llStrikes, lllllBalls)

17 lll(91 llStrikes, lllllBalls)

o

6 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

This was Harvey's longest outing of the 2018 season.

15 OUTS: ) 5 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play), 4 Popouts, 2 Strikeouts, 2 Flyouts, 1 Caught Stealing

HUNTER LUKE HARVEY )))))) (vs. AA-Altoona, 5/09)

H:llll 5 )) (5 Singles)

R:lllll 2

BB:lll0 ) *

Pitches: )l 81 (51 )Strikes, )30 )Balls)

2018 ERA: )l 3.63 )l(AA-Bowie) )  17.33 IP  (7 ER)

2018 WHIP: )l 1.269 )l(AA-Bowie) )  17.33 IP  (22 H/BB)

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .266  )l(AA-Bowie) )  (17 for 64)

* )) Harvey had 1 Hit Batsman

PITCHES BY INNING

19 ll(13 llStrikes, lllllBalls)

21 ll(13 llStrikes, lllllBalls)

11 lll(81 llStrikes, lllllBalls)

13 lll(81 llStrikes, lllllBalls)

17 lll(91 llStrikes, lllllBalls)

o

In terms of IP or time? Nice to see him doing moderately well in Bowie. 

o

In Harvey's last 2 outings combined he has ceded 9 singles in 9 innings pitched, but no extra base hits.

In this outing, 91% of the outs that he recorded (19 out of 11) came via the Strikeout and the Groundout.

12 OUTS: ) 5 Strikeouts, 5 SGround, 1 Flyouts, 1 Caught Stealing

HUNTER LUKE HARVEY )))))))) (vs. AA-Harrisburg, 5/16)

IP:lll4

H:llll 4 )) (4 Singles)

R:lllll 3

BB:lll

SO:lll5

Pitches: )l 59 (36 )Strikes, )23 )Balls)

2018 ERA: )l 4.22 )l(AA-Bowie) )  21.33 IP  (10 ER)

2018 WHIP: )l 1.313 )l(AA-Bowie) )  21.33 IP  (28 H/BB)

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .266  )l(AA-Bowie) )  (21 for 79)

PITCHES BY INNING

22 ll(12 llStrikes, l10 llllBalls)

11 ll(71 llStrikes, lll41 llBalls)

18 lll(10 llStrikes, lll81 llBalls)

81 lll(71 llStrikes, lll11 llBalls)

o

It’s got to be hard as a competitor to go a week in between game time and then come in and be limited. The guy has missed the last two years. We have to go through the innings limit process now. I think he will start to really dominate once he’s allowed to throw 80-90 pitches every 5 days. 

o

0 Walks and 6 Strikeouts.

In Harvey's last 3 outings combined he has ceded 13 singles in 13 innings pitched, with only a solo home run being the lone extra-base hit.

This was also the first time that Harvey was pitching on 4 days' rest.

12 OUTS: ) 6 Strikeouts, 4 Flyouts, 2 Groundouts

HUNTER LUKE HARVEY )))))))) (vs. AA-Trenton, 5/20)

IP:lll4

H:llll 5 )) (1 Home Run, 4 Singles)

R:lllll 3

BB:ll

SO:lll6

Pitches: )l 69 (44 )Strikes, )25 )Balls)

2018 ERA: )l 4.62 )l(AA-Bowie) )  25.33 IP  (13 ER)

2018 WHIP: )l 1.303 )l(AA-Bowie) )  25.33 IP  (33 H/BB)

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .274  )l(AA-Bowie) )  (26 for 95)

PITCHES BY INNING

21 ll(11 llStrikes, ll10 llllBalls)

12 ll(10 llStrikes, llll21 llBalls)

11 lll(81 llStrikes, llll31 llBalls)

25 lll(15 llStrikes, ll10 llllBalls)

o

o

This was the second consecutive outing in which Harvey had 6 Strikeouts over his first 4 Innings Pitched (he struck out a 7th batter while pitching the 5th inning in today's game.)

15 OUTS: ) 7 Strikeouts, 4 Flyouts, 2 Groundouts, 1 Popout, 1 Thrown Out Stealing

HUNTER LUKE HARVEY )))))))) (vs. AA-Binghamton, 5/26)

H:llll 5 )) (2 Doubles, 3 Singles)

R:lllll 1

SO:lll7

Pitches: )l 85 (59 )Strikes, )26 )Balls)

2018 ERA: )l 4.15 )l(AA-Bowie) )  30.33 IP  (14 ER)

2018 WHIP: )l 1.286 )l(AA-Bowie) )  30.33 IP  (39 H/BB)

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .272  )l(AA-Bowie) )  (31 for 114)

PITCHES BY INNING

18 l(15 llStrikes, lllllBalls)

25 ll(17 llStrikes, lllllBalls)

12 ll(81 llStrikes, lllllBalls)

10 ll(61 llStrikes, lllllBalls)

20 ll(13 llStrikes, lllllBalls)

o

o

This was Harvey's worst outing of the 2018 season.

In his previous 4 outings combined, he had given up predominantly singles (16 Singles, 2 Doubles, and 1 Home Run.) Today he gave up ALL extra base hits, and no singles.

That said, I'm not particularly concerned. He is throwing regularly and staying healthy in the process, which are the most important things for a first-round draft pick who had Tommy John surgery as recently as 2016. It's his first season in the higher levels of the Minors (AAA, AA, Advanced-A) since his professional career began in 2013, so I expect some ups and down in the process.

6 OUTS: ) 4 Flyouts, 1 Groundout, 1 Lineout

HUNTER LUKE HARVEY )))))))) (vs. AA-Trenton, 6/01)

IP:lll2

H:llll 5 )) (2 Home Runs, 2 Triples, 1 Double)

R:lllll 6

SO:ll0

Pitches: )l 59 (36 )Strikes, )23 )Balls)

2018 ERA: )l 5.57 )l(AA-Bowie)  )  32.33 IP  (20 ER)

2018 WHIP: )l 1.392 )l(AA-Bowie)  )  32.33 IP  (45 H/BB)

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG:  )l .290  )l(AA-Bowie) )  (36 for 124)

PITCHES BY INNING

35 ll(21 llStrikes, l14 llllBalls)

24 ll(15 llStrikes, lll91 llBalls)

o

8 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

This was Harvey's worst outing of the 2018 season.

In his previous 4 outings combined, he had given up predominantly singles (16 Singles, 2 Doubles, and 1 Home Run.) Today he gave up ALL extra base hits, and no singles.

That said, I'm not particularly concerned.  He is throwing regularly and staying healthy in the process, which are the most important things for a first-round draft pick who had Tommy John surgery as recently as 2016. It's his first season in the higher levels of the Minors (AAA, AA, Advanced-A) since his professional career began in 2013, so I expect some ups and down in the process.o

“Concerned” might be too strong a word, but I’m pretty disappointed with Harvey’s performance thus far.  He’s not looking like a pitcher who’s going to seriously challenge to be in the 2019 rotation, which is what most people expected.   (Heck, there were people who wanted to hand him a rotation spot this April.)    He’s still got plenty of time this year to round into form, and how he finishes the year is more important than how he’s started.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

“Concerned” might be too strong a word, but I’m pretty disappointed with Harvey’s performance thus far.  He’s not looking like a pitcher who’s going to seriously challenge to be in the 2019 rotation, which is what most people expected.   (Heck, there were people who wanted to hand him a rotation spot this April.)    He’s still got plenty of time this year to round into form, and how he finishes the year is more important than how he’s started.  

Before last night his FIP was 2.72, one of the best in the entire Eastern League