Is extending Tillman now a priority?

Bahama O's Fan

Bedard had much more value at the point he was traded. Plus during that time it was harder to find pitching. Now not so much.

This, plus there was a high stakes bidding war for Bedard that drove team's prices up.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am talking more about Jones then I am Tillman. He was going into his age 22 season and had already spent part of two seasons in the majors and he was a Center Fielder. Six years of that is pretty good. Then you throw in a MLB ready bullpen piece, a minor league bullpen piece and two starting prospects one of whom was very young (-4 yr) for his level?

Right, they overpaid. But every team does when they trade for high-end, established major league talent. So simply saying "they overpaid" doesn't mean much. Look at what we gave up for 25ish innings, and 1 WAR of Andrew Miller. Even if EdRod is only a 1.5 WAR pitcher, we will get destroyed in that deal in terms of value.

1.5 WAR per season pitcher that is.

I was going off what the players were at the time of the trade.

Do you think the EdRod that had pitched for the O's last season was a good candidate to be worth 1.5 WAR annually?

He turned a corner when he joined the Sox, the prospect he is now, or even was at the end of last season, is not the prospect the O's traded.

I was going off what the players were at the time of the trade.

Do you think the EdRod that had pitched for the O's last season was a good candidate to be worth 1.5 WAR annually?

He turned a corner when he joined the Sox, the prospect he is now, or even was at the end of last season, is not the prospect the O's traded.

Sure. He was in everybody's Top 100 prospects the year before, and was still in some. I think a guy like that is a pretty good candidate to be a below average starter.

Sure. He was in everybody's Top 100 prospects the year before' date=' and was still in some. I think a guy like that is a pretty good candidate to be a below average starter.[/quote']

4.79 ERA, 1.440 WHIP, 7.5 K/9, 2.38 K/BB ratio.

Yea I don't see it. I certainly hadn't wrote him off at the time of the trade but the star had dimmed for me. I would have guessed, at the time of the trade, that he would end up more of a spot starter/bullpen guy.

Defense behind him doesn't bother me as far as future performance goes... we are going to keep a very good to elite defense behind him the remainder of his time here, it's a team focus that I don't see changing in upcoming seasons. The strikeouts aren't actually too bad, he's very consistently between 6.5 - 7 SO/9, not elite but not horrible.

But if the defense remains a team focus then you don't need to pay a lot of money for starting pitching. You can find someone else who will perform well in front of that defense for a fraction of what Tillman will get in free agency.

But if the defense remains a team focus then you don't need to pay a lot of money for starting pitching. You can find someone else who will perform well in front of that defense for a fraction of what Tillman will get in free agency.

Yep. The league is not hurting for pitchers who let batters put the ball in play.

4.79 ERA, 1.440 WHIP, 7.5 K/9, 2.38 K/BB ratio.

Yea I don't see it. I certainly hadn't wrote him off at the time of the trade but the star had dimmed for me. I would have guessed, at the time of the trade, that he would end up more of a spot starter/bullpen guy.

I was upset the second it was announced. I think outside of maybe hoosiers, I was probably the most vocal opponent of the trade in the that thread.

I was upset the second it was announced. I think outside of maybe hoosiers' date=' I was probably the most vocal opponent of the trade in the that thread.[/quote']

I wasn't pleased to give him up but it seemed like a good way to bump the odds of winning the WS up by about 4%.

I can see that. In theory you could take any pitcher in the league who is an ERA+ 100 exactly league average starter, place him in front of our defense, and immediately he is better than league average.

I wonder what exact bump our defense gives a pitcher? If you could measure it and knew that figure exactly, you'd know exactly where the performance line is that you could pick a pitcher from and have him performance-match Tillman. Interesting thought.

After tonight I assumed someone would answer this thread with sarcasm.

I think OP has a perfectly fine idea depending on whether or not you can get Tillman at a decent value. I doubt you'll really get much of a discount for a month and a half of crappy baseball after years of being a good pitcher. "A good pitcher" gets a lot of money in this game.

Archived