Is extending Tillman now a priority?

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tillman is too far away from FA to want to extend, especially when he seems to be going in the wrong direction. 2013 he had a 4.4 WAR. 2014 that plummeted to 2.4 WAR. This year he is below replacement. His secondary pitches seem to get worse each year. You extend a guy like Dallas Keuchel. Played okay, progressively got better, and you extend him right before you think he is about to breakout. You don't extend somebody who is progressively getting worse.

I don't see a reason to extend Tillman. Would rather just ride him until free agency.

I'm not totally against a Tillman extension, but this is probably the right approach, just as much because of Gausman, Bundy, Harvey and Davies as Tillman's own performance.

Personally, I don't rely on ERA to evaluate pitchers. His peripherals are pretty mediocre and he's been helped greatly by excellent defenses behind him. Too many flyballs and not enough missed bats.

Defense behind him doesn't bother me as far as future performance goes... we are going to keep a very good to elite defense behind him the remainder of his time here, it's a team focus that I don't see changing in upcoming seasons. The strikeouts aren't actually too bad, he's very consistently between 6.5 - 7 SO/9, not elite but not horrible.

Bedard was only a mistake in hindsight. At the time' date=' he was a stud. [/quote']

I don't think is true. Most analysts at the time thought the trade was terrible for the Mariners, they just didn't know how terrible. It's always been viewed as a mistake.

I don't think is true. Most analysts at the time thought the trade was terrible for the Mariners, they just didn't know how terrible. It's always been viewed as a mistake.

Bedard was a stud, and some Orioles fans, (Not here in OH) but another site, was not very happy to lose him.

Tillman is too far away from FA to want to extend' date=' especially when he seems to be going in the wrong direction. 2013 he had a 4.4 WAR. 2014 that plummeted to 2.4 WAR. This year he is below replacement. His secondary pitches seem to get worse each year. You extend a guy like Dallas Keuchel. Played okay, progressively got better, and you extend him right before you think he is about to breakout. You don't extend somebody who is progressively getting worse.[/quote']

This would be my only concern (declining performance) but I have no idea what WAR is talking about with Tillman and his 2013 and 2014. If you look at his Stat lines, they were nearly identical seasons except his strikeouts per 9 was better in 2013 and his FIP was a little better in 2014. Otherwise those seasons are creepily similar... certainly not 2 WAR worth of difference!

I agree. It was a clear overpay even if Bedard had pitched well.

But that's true of every one of these trades, so they must be put in that context. There's rarely ever a time where a team gives up a bunch of cost controlled prospects, and isn't overpaying for the value they are getting back. Seattle looked like they were getting 9 to 12 WAR over two years, for whatever he was going to make, 14 to 16 million? With Tillman, you wouldn't expect to get anything close to that going into the trade.

Bedard was only a mistake in hindsight. At the time' date=' he was a stud. Tillman isn't that pitcher right now.[/quote']

Seattle overpaid even if Bedard had been healthy and pitched well. But Bedard was a very good pitcher at the time, certainly a level above Tillman.

But that's true of every one of these trades' date=' so they must be put in that context. There's rarely ever a time where a team gives up a bunch of cost controlled prospects, and isn't overpaying for the value they are getting back. Seattle looked like they were getting 9 to 12 WAR over two years, for whatever he was going to make, 14 to 16 million? With Tillman, you wouldn't expect to get anything close to that going into the trade.[/quote']

I am talking more about Jones then I am Tillman. He was going into his age 22 season and had already spent part of two seasons in the majors and he was a Center Fielder. Six years of that is pretty good. Then you throw in a MLB ready bullpen piece, a minor league bullpen piece and two starting prospects one of whom was very young (-4 yr) for his level?

Archived