Trade deadline possibilities

ChuckS

You are hilarious ... So if he is so in demand.. why hasn't Boston, Texas or the Marlins traded for him? Plus he is a fly ball dominate pitcher.. Not gunna work at the C Yards!

I don't think you understand how this works.

Talented pitcher + good track record + 4 and 1/2 years of team control = massive price tag.

I never advocated trading for him.

Here's a recent Fangraphs article on Shoemaker:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-angels-have-had-a-month-of-clayton-kershaw/

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A lot of you are forgetting that our SP is so bad that a pitcher with a 4.50 ERA is a significant upgrade for our 2016 team.

This would not have been the case between 2012 and 2014, but our rotation could really use some "marginal" SP.

I would not trade Mancini for Hellickson, but I would probably part with any prospect not in our top 5 (Sisco, Harvey, Mancini, Mountcastle, Sedlock). For Shoemaker, I would not have a problem with parting with Mancini. Lot of team control years left on Shoemaker and his peripherals are pretty good. Jimmy Nelson from the Brewers is another guy I would not have a problem moving Mancini for and Duquette has a history of trading with the Brewers.

For either Nelson or Shoemaker, it would probably take a package of three prospects (Mancini, Peralta, and Heim possibly). I'm probably being too optimistic on what it would take to get Nelson.

Why is Shoemaker so much more desirable than Hellickson? Hellickson: 7.92 K/9, 1.50 war `1.20 WHIP, 3.92 ERA, Shoemaker: 9.00 K/9, 0.6 WAR, 1.32 WHIP, 4.45 ERA. Yeah, Shoemaker is under control for a few years and has a higher K/9, but are we that excited about holding on to #5 SP.

I wouldn't have minded the Feldman deal had we re-signed him. It has never made sense to me to trade for a guy you have no intention of retaining. If you don't go far in the playoffs it's a lose/lose situation.

It's a catch 22 with being a contending team. It's especially hard on a contending team with a poor farm system.

Shoemaker has sucked the last two seasons. We have several Shoemakers already. Tell me what his stats are against the AL East teams?

He would immediately be our third best starter. Career 3.88 ERA and 1.20 WHIP. Strikes out close to a batter an inning.

Any stats against the AL East would be a very small sample size. He's allowed three runs over two starts against us this year and we are a pretty good hitting ball club.

Who cares about W-L record? Especially since he's on a terrible team.

And he isn't declining. He had a rough stretch to start the year and was sent to the minors and has been great since being recalled.

It would cost way more than Mancini to get him.

Pomeranz and Hill are on terrible teams too

Why is Shoemaker so much more desirable than Hellickson? Hellickson: 7.92 K/9, 1.50 war `1.20 WHIP, 3.92 ERA, Shoemaker: 9.00 K/9, 0.6 WAR, 1.32 WHIP, 4.45 ERA. Yeah, Shoemaker is under control for a few years and has a higher K/9, but are we that excited about holding on to #5 SP.

He's not that much more desirable of a player. The team control years is why he will cost more. I look at him as a #3/#4 starter and on this team he would be a no. 3.

If I was the GM I would probably target the player less likely to damage our farm system (Hellickson). But if the cost starts with Mancini in either deal, give me Shoemaker.

He would immediately be our third best starter. Career 3.88 ERA and 1.20 WHIP. Strikes out close to a batter an inning.

Any stats against the AL East would be a very small sample size. He's allowed three runs over two starts against us this year and we are a pretty good hitting ball club.

Listen to me... Nolan Ryan use to be a good pitcher... Until his skills declined... We just signed 2 pitchers like that. Now you want to double down?

Shoemaker is no #3, what are you smoking.

On this team, I believe he would be our third best starter. There is some downside to him granted, but these are the kind of players we are going to be looking at to improve the club. We will not be able to compete for the TOR guys.

Shoemaker is no #3, what are you smoking.

On this club he is a #3. And it wouldn't shock me if he ends up with better overall numbers than Gausman.

Since facing the O's for the first time this year in mid May: 2.67 ERA .249/.279/.385 - .664 OPS, 10 SO/9, 1.084 WHIP, 1.2 BB/9

I mean, those are #1 numbers on this club during that period.

Doubtful. But I'm much rather Shoemaker for those 2 (possibly more) than for Hellickson.

Shoemaker is going to be expensive since he still has 4 years of control after this year.

I want no part of Hellickson. I have a feeling that he'll be the pitcher version of Parra.

Archived