Gallardo: Channelling His Inner Trachsel

Frobby

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gallardo reminds me so much of Steve Trachsel. Tons of base runners. Very few strikes, but mostly because he's trying to get swings just off the plate. Can't really put hitters away. And, of course, he takes forever between pitches. Man he's painful to watch.

I am happy the team won.

Gallardo has much better stuff than Steve Trachsel and it isn't very close. Trachsel was literally doing it with smoke and mirrors.

As usual, I think this thread is too harsh on Gallardo. Look at the hits last night. 5 of the 8 were grounders/soft liners through the infield, 1 was a soft line drive, 1 was a semi-hard fly ball that eluded Adam Jones for a triple, and the last a really hard hit grounder that bad hopped past Manny. Of the hits, only the bad hop hit was smoked. I didn't go check out off the bat velocity numbers, but I bet none of the others was over 90 mph (maybe the fly ball triple). I would take those off-the-bat velocities every single start.

There were too many walks, but the sequences weren't that bad IMO. Longo was basically an intentional walk and I have no issue with that. The other 3 were all full counts, with extra fouls in 2 of 3 cases, and the pay-off pitch wasn't far off the plate. I thought most the balls he threw last night we reasonably good pitches. Ubaldo misses all over the world, often with little chance of getting a swing. That wasn't the case with Gallardo last night.

Those who continue to say Ubaldo has better stuff simply aren't watching 2016 Ubaldo. His stuff used to be pretty nasty. This year is looks bad almost every time out. Gallardo has much better overall offerings at this point. The Ubaldo I see right now has almost no chance for success because his command can't overcome his lack of stuff.

I would continue to advise patience for Gallardo. The guy is going to be a helpful part of the rotation for the next 1.5 seasons IMO. I would cut bait on Ubaldo. I think he is done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting post, thanks.

I didnt see the game last night, I was at Nats Park watching Strasburg go to 13-0.

But when I got home I reviewed the game thread and the Gallardo thread and there wasn't a positive word on his outing beyond someone saying that 3 runs in 5 innings is acceptable.

So I figured he must have looked awful and was lucky to escape with just the 3 runs allowed. You certainly provide a different perspective.

At any rate, we all can agree that Gallardo was better than Bumgarner, Pineda, or Stroman last night, right? Thank goodness we don't have to pitch those bums! [emoji1]

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I still don't think Gallardo is healthy.

He's sitting below 90 again. Sometimes hitting it, but rarely controlled. The difference in his fastball and change is really not much different in terms of velocity. Ton of foulballs. A lot of nibbeling. A ton of time between pitches. A lot of contact. And the walks is scaryy. Since coming off the DL he has a WHIP near 2. We can talk about exit velocity all day, but hitters have adjusted.

Gallardo and Ubaldo no longer have the stuff needed to get hitters out. A sure sign of that is when they get ahead 0-2. The count inevitably goes to 3-2 with 5 foul balls. Why? Because they don't have any pitches that are hard to hit. They have to hope that the batter swings at a ball or that the batter guesses wrong. God help them if they throw a strike and the batter guesses right.

He's sitting below 90 again. Sometimes hitting it, but rarely controlled. The difference in his fastball and change is really not much different in terms of velocity. Ton of foulballs. A lot of nibbeling. A ton of time between pitches. A lot of contact. And the walks is scaryy. Since coming off the DL he has a WHIP near 2. We can talk about exit velocity all day, but hitters have adjusted.

I saw him hit 92 last night.

At any rate, we all can agree that Gallardo was better than Bumgarner, Pineda, or Stroman last night, right? Thank goodness we don't have to pitch those bums! [emoji1]

We can all agree. Archer was slightly better than that bunch.

90 was enough for some effective high ("rising") fastballs he threw.

Gallardo has much better stuff than Steve Trachsel and it isn't very close. Trachsel was literally doing it with smoke and mirrors.

As usual, I think this thread is too harsh on Gallardo. Look at the hits last night. 5 of the 8 were grounders/soft liners through the infield, 1 was a soft line drive, 1 was a semi-hard fly ball that eluded Adam Jones for a triple, and the last a really hard hit grounder that bad hopped past Manny. Of the hits, only the bad hop hit was smoked. I didn't go check out off the bat velocity numbers, but I bet none of the others was over 90 mph (maybe the fly ball triple). I would take those off-the-bat velocities every single start.

There were too many walks, but the sequences weren't that bad IMO. Longo was basically an intentional walk and I have no issue with that. The other 3 were all full counts, with extra fouls in 2 of 3 cases, and the pay-off pitch wasn't far off the plate. I thought most the balls he threw last night we reasonably good pitches. Ubaldo misses all over the world, often with little chance of getting a swing. That wasn't the case with Gallardo last night.

Those who continue to say Ubaldo has better stuff simply aren't watching 2016 Ubaldo. His stuff used to be pretty nasty. This year is looks bad almost every time out. Gallardo has much better overall offerings at this point. The Ubaldo I see right now has almost no chance for success because his command can't overcome his lack of stuff.

I would continue to advise patience for Gallardo. The guy is going to be a helpful part of the rotation for the next 1.5 seasons IMO. I would cut bait on Ubaldo. I think he is done.

I usually defer to you on pitching, and I hope you are right. What bothered Myers most was that he got 2 strikes on so many batters and couldn't resolve the at bat in his favor. And I do think a lot of the hits were hit hard - a rocket past Manny, another past Davis, one up the middle, and the ball Jones couldn't reach (PS, a younger Jones might have reached it), off the top of my head. The at bats were tortuously long.

I will type it one more time in hope that it eventually hits home for some of us. Any post making statements that Gallardo and Ubaldo have comparable stuff at this point in their careers is just completely incorrect. They do not. Gallardo still throws multiple above average curves per start. Gallardo still throws an average to slightly above cutter. Gallardo still throws an average changeup, although it is more erratic, sometimes flashing above average and sometimes flashing below average. None of Ubaldo's offspeed stuff looks above average to me with the exception of about 10-15 innings all year like the first few innings against the Red Sox, but he lost it completely even in that start.

Gallardo also has much better command. Command isn't about walks. It is about executing pitches in the zone where the pitch was intended to go. Gallardo does this routinely. Ubaldo does this rarely.

Their fastball velocities are comparable. That is about it.

Must spread rep. I always like reading your pitcher analyses.

While his stuff might be better than U-bad-o (and Trachsel for that matter) his mound demeanor is kind of like Trachsel. Torturously slow.

Gallardo and Ubaldo no longer have the stuff needed to get hitters out. A sure sign of that is when they get ahead 0-2. The count inevitably goes to 3-2 with 5 foul balls. Why? Because they don't have any pitches that are hard to hit. They have to hope that the batter swings at a ball or that the batter guesses wrong. God help them if they throw a strike and the batter guesses right.

Yes. It is that simple.

Archived