The Rockies series, July 25-27

Frobby

The Rockies come in for a three game series. As might be expected, they are a very different team on the road than they are at home. On the road, they rank 12th in the NL in OPS (.686) and runs/game (4.14), and 5th in ERA. At home, they're first in OPS and R/G and last in ERA. Colorado has gone 7-3 since the all-star break, a streak that sounds impressive until you realize that 7 of those games were with the Braves and the other 3 were with the Rays. They're a respectable 22-27 on the road, and actually have outscored their opponents, so this won't be a laydown by any means. The matchups:

De La Rosa (6-7, 6.07) vs. Gallardo (3-2, 5.69)

Bettis (8-6, 5.31) vs. Tillman (14-2, 3.18)

Gray (6-4, 4.12) vs. Bundy (3-2, 3.30)

Of course, you have to consider the Coors Effect when looking at the Rockies' ERAs, but in Jorge De La Rosa's case, it doesn't matter. He's been horrible on the road, 2-4 with a 6.50 ERA. He actually had been pitching pretty well since late May (when he had a staggering 11.41 ERA), but got crushed by Tampa in his last start, allowing 9 runs (7 earned) on 11 hits in 4 innings. He hasn't faced the Orioles since 2007. Gallardo pitched what I thought was a pretty decent game last time out (7 IP, 4 R) but has been very shaky overall. He saw the Rockies numerous times in the NL, and is 0-5 with a 6.08 ERA against them (but a 3.74 ERA away from Coors).

The Coors Effect doesn't matter much for Chad Bettis, either, as he has a 5.18 ERA on the road. The Rockies have won 7 of his last 8 starts, during which he is 4-1, and he has several decent starts in that period. He started a game against the O's in 2013 and got pummeled, allowing 8 runs (only two earned) on 7 hits and 4 walks. Tillman is having a spectacular July, allowing 1 run in 7 IP in each of his last four outings. He has never faced the Rockies.

Jon Gray, the 3rd overall pick of the 2013 draft, has been on a nice roll since late May, pitching to a 2.97 ERA in his last 11 starts, and has a solid 4.02 ERA in away games. He has never faced the Orioles. Bundy, the 4th overall pick of the 2011 draft, just got his first major league win as a starter, and presumably will be limited to 5 innings or so. He's never faced the Rockies. This looks like a matchup of two future studs, with Gray making huge strides the last two months.

The Rockies' attack features four players with an OPS of .880 or higher, but again...Coors. On the road, only one starter has an OPS over .800 (Nolan Arenado, .840), and only two others are over .750 (Charlie Blackmon (.790) and Trevor Story (.787)). Their lineup often includes our old friends Mark Reynolds (.703 road OPS with 4 homers on the road) and Gerardo Parra (.575 road OPS).

The Rockies' bullpen is pretty mediocre, sporting a 4.92 ERA. However, they do have some guys who have performed well on the road (McGee 1.98, Logan 1.26, Justin Miller 2.33, Qualls 3.14, Estevez 2.84).

All in all, it's always hard to know what to expect from the Rockies away from Coors,playing a team they rarely see. For what it's worth, they're 6-7 vs. the AL East so far, losing series to the Red Sox, Blue Jays and Rays while winning 3 of 4 from NY. On paper, I like our guys -- but they don't play the games on paper, do they?

On paper, I like our guys -- but they don't play the games on paper, do they?

Well I suppose COL could always rig up the world's biggest piece of paper and put it over the the field at Camden Yards before we play them. :)

With the heat the ball should be jumping like Coors. Hopefully just for us though. Their better RP's are LH. I think that favors us. As usual let's at least get this to the bullpens and we can dominate.

I'm lumping the Minn game in here, 3-1 is expected. 2-2 would be a disappointment heading into TOR.

Archived