Rick Dempsey: Orioles Should 'Go For It' As Trade Deadline Approaches

PressBoxOnline

Former Orioles catcher and current MASN analyst Rick Dempsey says the Orioles need to be willing to part with prospects for help at the MLB trade deadline.

"In our division right now, you've got to go for it while you can, because you may not get this window again."

https://www.pressboxonline.com/2016/07/26/rick-dempsey-orioles-should-go-for-it-as-trade-deadline-approaches

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate to agree with Dempsey, but I think he's right. The problem is though, that the one true need we have is another TOR starter. And I don't think we have what it takes to land one of those without weakening the current MLB team (i.e. giving up Bundy or Schoop).

Really what does this team need? A number 3 starter. That's pretty much it. A lefty in the pen might be nice but so is the flexibility. Is Borbon really that big a drop off from Rickard?

We have the 2nd best record in baseball. "Going for it" for us would be trading for Rich Hill and then picking up a LOOGY in August.

And to Dempsey's suggestion to give up our top 5 prospects to get Sale... That is not nearly enough. Other teams will be offering much more polished and higher end prospects. We simply don't have the right match to make that move.

Former Orioles catcher and current MASN analyst Rick Dempsey says the Orioles need to be willing to part with prospects for help at the MLB trade deadline.

"In our division right now, you've got to go for it while you can, because you may not get this window again."

https://www.pressboxonline.com/2016/07/26/rick-dempsey-orioles-should-go-for-it-as-trade-deadline-approaches

Because in the other divisions they have a list and take turns. :rolleyes:

Dempsey with the reverse-confirmation: it is indeed a dumb idea to trade away cheap asset for marginal upgrades which will be statistically insignificant to our chances of taking home a trophy.

We saw the sort of package it would take to acquire a Pomeranz-level pitcher, and we ain't got it, and most of the other stuff available isn't much better, if at all, than Wilson/Gallardo. Kick the tires on Hellickson, etc., but depending on the market, it may not make sense.

Dan Szymborski, fangraphs' resident oriole fan, recently had a quip in his chat that he didn't think there was any convergence between players that will actually improve Baltimore, players Baltimore can afford to have, and players worth acquiring, or something to that effect. He's right.

Edit: here's the exact quote, in response to trading for more pitching:

12:39

Dan Szymborski: Honestly, I don’t think the lines of Use to O’s, O’s Can Get, and O’s Should Get have any intersecting points.

Because in the other divisions they have a list and take turns. :rolleyes:

I'm sure this was meant in jest, but I think Dempsey means that no other division has Boston and NYY type spenders where they could in theory buy a contender in one off season. When you have a window in the AL East you go for it.

I'm sure this was meant in jest' date=' but I think Dempsey means that no other division has Boston and NYY type spenders where they could in theory buy a contender in one off season. When you have a window in the AL East you go for it.[/quote']

When you have a window in any division you go for it.

The Astros are not sitting there going, "Well this is the AL West, let's just see how things go.".

Dempsey was spouting drivel.

Dempsey with the reverse-confirmation: it is indeed a dumb idea to trade away cheap asset for marginal upgrades which will be statistically insignificant to our chances of taking home a trophy.

We saw the sort of package it would take to acquire a Pomeranz-level pitcher, and we ain't got it, and most of the other stuff available isn't much better, if at all, than Wilson/Gallardo. Kick the tires on Hellickson, etc., but depending on the market, it may not make sense.

Dan Syzomborski (spelling?), fangraphs' resident oriole fan, recently had a quip in his chat that he didn't think there was any convergence between players that will actually improve Baltimore, players Baltimore can afford to have, and players worth acquiring, or something to that effect. He's right.

That makes a lot of sense. Trading for a guy like Hellickson costs...

Prospects

Money

DFA'ing Roe for either Worley, Bundy or Hellickson in the pen

costs the pen flexibility

How much of an upgrade would that be?

Archived