Padres asked for Garrett Cleavinger and Jhon Peluffo in Jimenez/Upton deal

xian4

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Per sources, <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/padres?src=hash">#padres</a> also wanted <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a> minor league LHP Garrett Cleavinger and RHP Jhon Peluffo in Jimenez/Upton deal.</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">July 26, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have been willing to deal one of them.....maybe.

Need more reports on Peluffo's stuff but he seems like the real deal. The fact that they wanted him and he's pitching all the way down in the GCL, probably means his stuff is legit.

I think I may have let Cleavinger go. We can afford to part with a future bullpen arm.

I make that deal. I'm unsure why the Orioles didn't do it, those are not legit prospects to give up.

I have both in my top 10. Peluffo at 7 and Cleavinger at 9. Lefties that throw in the mid-90's don't grown on trees and either do 19 year olds sporting a 7 to 1 k to walk ratio.

I have both in my top 10. Peluffo at 7 and Cleavinger at 9. Lefties that throw in the mid-90's don't grown on trees and either do 19 year olds sporting a 7 to 1 k to walk ratio.

Yeah decent prospects I think I do it though if they pay all Ubaldo's contract but not if we have to pay some too.

Yeah, and at 19 how many years until he has Tommy John surgery and is out for 3 years like Bundy

I make that deal as well. Just to get Ubaldo off my team

Trading potentially valuable assets to get rid of bad contracts is generally bad business.

I liked Melvin Upton as a possible RF option for 2017 with Trumbo likely gone and a weak free agent class.

Yeah decent prospects I think I do it though if they pay all Ubaldo's contract but not if we have to pay some too.

They were going to pay all of Ubaldo's contract. Upton made 5 million more and we wouldn't cover it.

Funny that they covered all of upton except 5 million to get the jays 15th best prospect. Seems like they over played their hand.

Yeah, and at 19 how many years until he has Tommy John surgery and is out for 3 years like Bundy

With that philosophy why try to develop any young pitcher? The TJ surgery rate for current major league pitchers is around 16 percent. May be around 20 percent if you want to add labrum surgery. We've had some bad luck.

With that philosophy why try to develop any young pitcher? The TJ surgery rate for current major league pitchers is around 16 percent. May be around 20 percent if you want to add labrum surgery. We've had some bad luck.

Not with Tommy John. We have an extremely low incidence.

Archived