Official Orioles Draft Pick Thread

markpolis

From the looks of it, I would say it's our best draft in recent memory. That's really saying something based on not having a 2nd and 3rd round pick.

I really liked last year's draft as well, but I like how Jordan is going the college route this year.

The first day was a huge success. Wieters and Arrieta could be fixtures on the major league club for quite some time. I'll give Jordan the benefit of doubt with Bascom.

Early 2nd round picks I really like are Angle, Widlansky, McConnell and Hambly.

BA had some good things to say about him.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15th round - Tyrone Hambly, Grayson County CC, 3B, R/R 6' 230lbs.

Here's BA's take:

The best juco hitter in the state is third baseman Tyrone Hambly, who led national juco players in RBIs (85) and ranked in the top 10 in hitting (.478) and homers (15). Scouts aren't sold on his future position because he carries 230 pounds on his 6-foot frame. And because he's Australian, a team will have to use a visa to get him into pro ball. Hambly began his college career at Oklahoma State in the fall of 2005 before transferring to Grayson County, and he missed most of 2006 with a dislocated left shoulder. He has recommitted to the Cowboys but is considered signable.

This kid looks like a really good sign.

The only thing is he'll be 23 in August. I like the stats, though.

BA had some good things to say about him.

It sounds like he improved after his college career, gaining a few MPH and some movement. If that's the case then I like the pick.

Here's BA's take on White:

Jason White has a better chance than Douglas at remaining at shortstop. His bat is more in question, but White has made strides at the plate this spring. A frail 160 pounds in the past, White is now 6-foot-1 and 180 pounds and hit 10 homers as a senior after totaling one in his first three years at Iowa. He has room to add strength, and he has more speed and softer hands than Douglas.

He was the 3rd ranked player in Iowa.

I think I would be ranked 4th if I lived in Iowa. ;)

Here's BA's take on White:

Jason White has a better chance than Douglas at remaining at shortstop. His bat is more in question, but White has made strides at the plate this spring. A frail 160 pounds in the past, White is now 6-foot-1 and 180 pounds and hit 10 homers as a senior after totaling one in his first three years at Iowa. He has room to add strength, and he has more speed and softer hands than Douglas.

He was the 3rd ranked player in Iowa.

I think I would be ranked 4th if I lived in Iowa. ;)

Who's your agent? ;)

Archived