Trade deadline grades??

Osfan08

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been extremely critical of DD's past deadlines, mostly for pointless overpays, but I'm actually pretty pleased with this one. Nothing flashy, just solid improvements without giving up significant prospects. Solid B.

B

I like that they added major leaguers while losing nothing essentially- Pearce and Miley may end up not contributing as much as we would like (or they could both get hot for a few months and contribute a whole lot to this pennant run) Either way we gave up virtually nothing. If they DFA Ubaldo, I will be happily surprised and will raise this to a B+. I really like that this enables the pen to essentially get stronger by default especially if Jiminez goes. Gives Buck increased flexibility with Miley and Pearce even before the roster expansion.

I'll go with B-. We made some marginal improvements, and didn't give up anyone with a high upside. Would have been nice to improve the team more, but we didn't have the trade chips. At least we didn't overpay.

Worth noting, last time I looked, the Miley poll was running 88% in favor and the Pearce poll was running 100% in favor. So, not a lot of critics of these two moves, it's just a matter of whether we could have done more.

I'll go with B-. We made some marginal improvements, and didn't give up anyone with a high upside. Would have been nice to improve the team more, but we didn't have the trade chips. At least we didn't overpay.

Worth noting, last time I looked, the Miley poll was running 88% in favor and the Pearce poll was running 100% in favor. So, not a lot of critics of these two moves, it's just a matter of whether we could have done more.

Similarly, when checking some Mariner boards they seemed to feel we got the better end of the deal. Or at least they viewed the move as pointless from the Mariners point of view. Usually a pretty good sign when the majority of your fanbase is in favor of a move and the opposing team's fans hate it.

C+.

No impact players acquired

No future stars dealt

Decent depth moves, relegated Ubaldo to near permanent bench rider

Want to see who they DFA.

Do they have to DFA anybody? On the 25 man, they can send down Despaigne and Wilson for Miley and Pearce. And didn't they have an open spot on the 40 when they DFA'd Borbon?

I don't know how I'd grade it for this season, but it really leaves us with options this offseason regarding Wieters and Trumbo (because we kept Sisco and Mancini). It also leaves our MiL pitching pretty much where it was, and that was sorely needed. We really do need to let that depth develop rather than continuously dealing from it.

I would have been fine with a true all-in type of move for Sale, Teheran, Gray or Moore, but not for the likes of Hellickson. If we made a big move, I wanted it to be for a post-season game changer, not for higher odds of getting there just to lose 8-5.

The only pipe dream I had that wasn't really discussed was a deal of Wieters and another deal for Lucroy. Nobody in the org likely would have even considered that move, but it would have been creative and it would have actually upgraded the one position where a really significant upgrade was possible and affordable. Oh well.

Do they have to DFA anybody? On the 25 man, they can send down Despaigne and Wilson for Miley and Pearce. And didn't they have an open spot on the 25 when they DFA'd Borbon?

Borbon was DFA to make room for Ubaldo coming off paternity leave. He cleared waivers and was outrighted back to Bowie.

B

I like that they added major leaguers while losing nothing essentially- Pearce and Miley may end up not contributing as much as we would like (or they could both get hot for a few months and contribute a whole lot to this pennant run) Either way we gave up virtually nothing. If they DFA Ubaldo, I will be happily surprised and will raise this to a B+. I really like that this enables the pen to essentially get stronger by default especially if Jiminez goes. Gives Buck increased flexibility with Miley and Pearce even before the roster expansion.

:agree:

Flaherty has options--I think he goes down along with Despaigne.

Agree with the B grade. Didn't give up much and added solid not spectacular players. Division rivals did not significantly improve either.

Boston got Abad and Jays got Lirano, who has a 5.45 ERA. Dude is gonna get smoked in divisional play

Archived