Who Puts on an Orioles Uniform First: Hunter Harvey or Cody Sedlock?

FanSince88

Who gets promoted to the majors first?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets promoted to the majors first?

• Hunter Harvey
    • Cody Sedlock
    • Neither makes it to the MLB level

This poll is closed to new votes

There's no certainty that either one ever plays a game for the Orioles. We don't have any idea whether Sedlock's stuff will play well as he moves up through the minors or whether he'll have health issues along the way. We don't know when Harvey will pitch again, how long it will take him to recover effectiveness, or whether he'll experience yet further injuries.

Saying all that, I don't think either is likely to be in Baltimore before late 2018 at the earliest, and some time in 2019 is more likely for both. I'll say Sedlock gets there first but Harvey turns out to be the better pitcher.

For a regular season game. I'll go with Sedlock. With the reviews he's getting, a 2017 September call-up doesn't seem too far fetched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty unlikely. I'm sure if you looked at all college pitchers drafted in the first round, you'd find it was a very small percentage that got called up the year after they were drafted. Matusz did, but he was a no. 4 overall pick who was just toying with hitters in the minors. Bundy did it as a high school draftee, but well, he's Bundy (and also a 1:4 in an exceptionally strong draft class).

While he wasn't a 1st rounder, I think Jake Arrieta's flight path is more normal. Pitched a full year in the Carolina League (where he was pitcher of the year), split a season between Bowie and Norfolk, then put in another half-season at Norfolk before his call-up.

Pretty unlikely. I'm sure if you looked at all college pitchers drafted in the first round, you'd find it was a very small percentage that got called up the year after they were drafted. Matusz did, but he was a no. 4 overall pick who was just toying with hitters in the minors. Bundy did it as a high school draftee, but well, he's Bundy (and also a 1:4 in an exceptionally strong draft class).

While he wasn't a 1st rounder, I think Jake Arrieta's flight path is more normal. Pitched a full year in the Carolina League (where he was pitcher of the year), split a season between Bowie and Norfolk, then put in another half-season at Norfolk before his call-up.

Stotle posted that his colleagues in the scouting community have told him Sedlock could come up and help the team now.

Three guys in 2014 first round made their debuts before 2016. Finnegan, Nola, and Rodon. If I counted correctly, that's 3 out of 10. Certainly not rare.

Edited by backwardsk

Stotle posted that his colleagues in the scouting community have told him Sedlock could come up and help the team now.

Three guys in 2014 first round made their debuts before 2016. Finnegan, Nola, and Rodon. If I counted correctly, that's 3 out of 10. Certainly not rare.

I must have missed the report that Sedlock is a great prospect. Glad if that's the case. I think Harvey is going to have a meteoric rise once he starts pitching again. He's closer to Bundy's upside than Gausman's, IMO. Just have to be patient on his health.

Sedlock is a 21 year old that is pitching OK in rookie ball. Why is this even a poll? Maybe wait until Sedlock has some actual success in the minors before getting excited over him.

Well why wait to have this poll when it would be more obvious? Given Harvey's injury history, it's a fair question.