Believe in Baltimore

weams

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/194347252/baltimore-orioles-world-series-contenders-mlb

Quick, fast, first answer that pops into your head: Which American League team has won the most games since the beginning of the 2012 season?

Red Sox? Tigers? Yankees? Blue Jays? Rangers? Royals?

Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope and nope. Here are the five teams that have won the most games in the AL since 2012:

1. Baltimore Orioles, 418

2. New York Yankees, 407

3. Detroit Tigers, 406

4. Texas Rangers, 404

5. Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, 399

The Orioles are one of only five teams (Cardinals, Yankees, Dodgers and Nationals are the others) that haven't had a losing season since 2012. That's five years, a lifetime in sports, basically Mike Trout's whole career so far. I don't even remember a universe before Trout. And the best team in the AL, over that five-year span, has been the Orioles.

Suffice it to say, this is not generally how people talk about the Orioles. I don't remember a time in the last five years when the Orioles' success was not belittled and/or dismissed within minutes of it being noted. The Red Sox were about to make a run; the Yankees are hanging on; the Rays have young talent ready to sprout; the Blue Jays are finally having the season we've all been waiting for them to have. The Orioles? Well, the Orioles are bound to fade. They're playing above their heads. They can't keep this up.

I think the oddness is that from 2012-2016 (aside from 2014), the O's starting rotation has been bottom of the barrel. Traditionally speaking unless you have an other-worldly offense, you're not going to overcome awful starting pitching.

That said, the model (aside from this year since the defense is not very good due to poor OF defense) for the O's from 2012 and on is the following:

1. Homers

2. Elite defense

3. Elite bullpen

4. Hope to god for average starting pitching

Every year it ends up being that there are usually 2 starters you can pencil in for having a good/great season...and then the other 3 are coin flips.

The O's are getting really lucky this year with health for their starting pitching and that Bundy has turned into a sort of savior. At the beginning of the year (and even a month in), most would never entertain the idea of starting Bundy regularly. Yet here we are.

Anyways, the 1-2-3 punch of Tillman, Gausman and Bundy is very good *if* they stay healthy.

Gallardo and Miley just need to be serviceable. Granted, we didn't sign Gallardo to be a #5, but he has to be that...even if he's been pitching at times more like a #6.

We know how good we are it's just about everyone else that doesn't know. I have to admit I am getting a little spoiled right

now it seems like just yesterday that I would be glad to win 4 maybe 5 games in a year against the Yankees or the Red Sox

and now I want to or should I say expect to win more than them. I have a couple of friends that are fans of the Pirates and

the Braves and the other day they asked me how the Orioles are doing and I told them first place and they said surprisingly

"really". I like being the quiet underdog.

I think the oddness is that from 2012-2016 (aside from 2014), the O's starting rotation has been bottom of the barrel. Traditionally speaking unless you have an other-worldly offense, you're not going to overcome awful starting pitching.

That said, the model (aside from this year since the defense is not very good due to poor OF defense) for the O's from 2012 and on is the following:

1. Homers

2. Elite defense

3. Elite bullpen

4. Hope to god for average starting pitching

Every year it ends up being that there are usually 2 starters you can pencil in for having a good/great season...and then the other 3 are coin flips.

The O's are getting really lucky this year with health for their starting pitching and that Bundy has turned into a sort of savior. At the beginning of the year (and even a month in), most would never entertain the idea of starting Bundy regularly. Yet here we are.

Anyways, the 1-2-3 punch of Tillman, Gausman and Bundy is very good *if* they stay healthy.

Gallardo and Miley just need to be serviceable. Granted, we didn't sign Gallardo to be a #5, but he has to be that...even if he's been pitching at times more like a #6.

Gallardo has looked good.

[video=youtube;sPNpJX8b-bc]

Great post. This has been a constant theme for me. This honestly started at the tail end of the season when Buck got here. The Orioles were intstrumental in helping the Redsux in their epic collapse. I have posted this many times but it still gives me goose bumps. And while it is not September, it kills me the Orioles are still virtually ignored by the media. You know it may be me, but I think these are the same folks that undersell our system too. Just sayin....

• 2 weeks later...
o

It's easy to believe when things are going well, and/or right after a win.

Believe now, after an extremely disheartening loss.

It's easy to grin

When your ship comes in

And you've got the stock market beat.

But the man worthwhile

Is the man who can smile

When his shorts are too tight in the seat.

o

It's easy to believe when things are going well, and/or right after a win.

Believe now, after an extremely disheartening loss.

It's easy to grin

When your ship comes in

But the man worthwhile

Is the man who can smile

oooooo

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tK4HDCIr_E8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's easy to grin

When your ship comes in

But the man worthwhile

Is the man who can smile

Also from Judge Smails...

"You'll get nothing and like it!"

I'd agree that this message board, as a whole, has to work harder to believe for the remainder of 2016.

If the season ended today, the Orioles would be in the WC game. That's not an amazing feat, but it's the playoffs, nonetheless. They'd have a shot.

With plenty of games left to go, the Orioles are 2.5 back in the AL East, the best division in baseball. They have a shot.

Just a scant few years back, the Orioles were mired in a decade and a half long streak of complete and total failures. We must not forget that era.

And, if those reasons aren't enough... Remember that the deadline has passed, the chips are on the table and there's literally nothing else this team can do for 2016 except play the games and hope. Get on the train, people.

Archived