If there as was a "must win game"

Bird Dog

This is very interesting to me.

Gausman:

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=br&url=%2Fplayers%2Fg%2Fgausmke01.shtml&div=div_pitching_standard"></script>

Gallardo:

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=br&url=%2Fplayers%2Fg%2Fgallayo01.shtml&div=div_pitching_standard"></script>

By all accounts Gausman is having a better season than Gallardo. It's not even really close. Yet nearly every response so far would go with Yovani.

IMO, and what seems like others' as well, Gausman has that potential to throw a great game every time he goes out but he also throws some duds. Gallardo seems a little more consistent in his 5-6 IP, 2-4 ER every time he takes the mound. Kind of reminds me of Joe Saunders in an ironic way...

I would go with Gausman here but have a short leash if he is struggling with command early.

Since the ASB:

Gallardo: .260/.349/.427 - .776 OPS, 4.37 ERA, 1.486 WHIP, 7.0 SO/9, 4.6 BB/9

Gausman: .248/.331/.456 - .787 OPS, 3.74 ERA, 1.396 WHIP, 10.4 SO/9, 4.3 BB/9

Think that last gam really spiked Gausman's BB/9.

That said, Gausman has allowed 4 or more runs 7 out of 21 games started while Gallardo has done it 6 out of 15 games.

Games allowing 3 ER or less while going 6 IP or more:

Gausman: 11 times

Gallardo: 4 times

I still am not sold on Gallardo. He's pitched longer/better as of late, but Gausman is still a better pitcher overall despite his most recent poor outing.

And if you think Gausman's outing against the Giants was bad (6 walks, 4 IP) I'd hate to see how poorly Gallardo would have done. He nibbles like high hell.

People are saying Gausmans command sucks but Gallardo has 4.7 BB/9. Gausman seems to be cursed this year but he has better stuff and better overall numbers.

Gallardo won't throw a hittable strike to guys that can hurt him.

Which these days is half a major league lineup.

Gausman has command issues.

He also have much better stuff and I tend to side with better stuff.

Since the ASB:

Gallardo: .260/.349/.427 - .776 OPS, 4.37 ERA, 1.486 WHIP, 7.0 SO/9, 4.6 BB/9

Gausman: .248/.331/.456 - .787 OPS, 3.74 ERA, 1.396 WHIP, 10.4 SO/9, 4.3 BB/9

Think that last gam really spiked Gausman's BB/9.

That said, Gausman has allowed 4 or more runs 7 out of 21 games started while Gallardo has done it 6 out of 15 games.

Games allowing 3 ER or less while going 6 IP or more:

Gausman: 11 times

Gallardo: 4 times

I still am not sold on Gallardo. He's pitched longer/better as of late, but Gausman is still a better pitcher overall despite his most recent poor outing.

And if you think Gausman's outing against the Giants was bad (6 walks, 4 IP) I'd hate to see how poorly Gallardo would have done. He nibbles like high hell.

He also had 9 Ks in 4 innings.

He has talent, but he is frustrating to watch too.

It didn't help, that the ump was squeezing him too.

Archived