Check Swing Calls

Spy Fox

Not exclusively Orioles related, but a question.

Seems like there are controversial check swing strike three calls in almost every game lately. And the check swing rule is like the balk rule--different people have different interpretations. But check swings of course happen far more often than balks. With challenges available for most other calls, the controversial and missed check swing calls have been standing out to me lately.

Do you think the league should change anything about the way check swing calls are enforced? Do we need a clearer definition of the rule? Do we need replay available for check swing strikeouts? Or is it just fine the way it is? I'm curious to hear some people's thoughts.

Not exclusively Orioles related, but a question.

Seems like there are controversial check swing strike three calls in almost every game lately. And the check swing rule is like the balk rule--different people have different interpretations. But check swings of course happen far more often than balks. With challenges available for most other calls, the controversial and missed check swing calls have been standing out to me lately.

Do you think the league should change anything about the way check swing calls are enforced? Do we need a clearer definition of the rule? Do we need replay available for check swing strikeouts? Or is it just fine the way it is? I'm curious to hear some people's thoughts.

I say leave it the wAy it is.

Archived