Pirates shopping McCutchen

isestrex

You think a guy who is a year off a 5.8fWAR, 2 years off a 6.8 and 3 years off an 8.4fWAR is going to be available for less than Bundy because he had one miserable season? Is Adam Jones pretty much free to whoever wants him then?

The Pirates would be selling low, who cares what they want? Demand a bargain and walk away if they don't give you one.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nope. Costs too much in a deal and is at that 30 mark.

if you're saying he's an "old 30" we should go after him, although we can't afford to give up the equivalent of what we did for Frank. (Without looking up the stats, that might be something along the lines of Tillman, Rickard, and Hunter.)

The price would be through the roof. They would want Bundy plus top prospects. I can't see it happening.

I agree we shouldn't give up that much. What I was referring to were the comments of him being too old, salary too high and such. It'd be a 2 year deal at less than market rate. I agree we should demand a bargain and walk away if we don't get one. I'd center a package around Brach for him

I think the Pirates fan base would go crazy if they traded him for a reliever. If I'm the Pirates I would want young, upside talent in return. Just my two cents.

Your probably right they wouldn't do it, but from my point of view its worth a phone call to see what they are asking for. Maybe they can work something out...

The last few times that guys of McCutcheon's ilk have come up, it would have been a bargain to trade for them. In particular, I am thinking about Manny when he was traded to the Dodgers, Ortiz when he was struggling at the age of 33 when he batter .238, and Miguel Cabrera after he was coming off of a drunk driving conviction.

There are exceptions to the rule, but generally Hall of Fame caliber OF are not done when they reach 30.

Frank was 30 as well.

I guess things depend on whether you think that McCutchen's career track will look more like Frank Robinson's or more like Adam Jones'.

Andrew has had two straight declining offensive years (albeit from a crazy good 2014). Was 2014 his zenith?

I suppose you could have asked a similar question about Frank in 1966, but he then went on to put up a 198 OPS+

Still, why give up valuable assets, and then either lose him or get to sign him to a not cheap FA contract, when you can just sign him to a FA contract?

The last few times that guys of McCutcheon's ilk have come up, it would have been a bargain to trade for them. In particular, I am thinking about Manny when he was traded to the Dodgers, Ortiz when he was struggling at the age of 33 when he batter .238, and Miguel Cabrera after he was coming off of a drunk driving conviction.

There are exceptions to the rule, but generally Hall of Fame caliber OF are not done when they reach 30.

McCuthcheon has as much chance of the HOF as does Nick Markakis.

And by bargain you do mean free right, I do not expect the 2017 Orioles to take on salary.

I mean offer what a 30 year old with last years production is worth. I wouldn't offer what a bounce back year for him is worth, I'd offer equivalent pieces to his year last year. And, yes, we would have to pay him. If we don't increase payroll next year, we won't have a chance to win the world series. We fell short this year and will fall short next year. We have too much salary locked in to hold the budget firm and hope to improve.

Archived