Pirates shopping McCutchen

isestrex

McCuthcheon has as much chance of the HOF as does Nick Markakis.

This is absurd. McCutchen is 30 and already accumulated 41.1fWAR, he's roughly 20-25fWAR from what is generally considered to be a HoF Career. Markakis will be 33 on opening day and has accumulated 24.3fWAR. He needs to add roughly 40 more fWAR. Cutch could very realistically bounced back to his 2015 self and accumulate that 20-25 fWAR in the next 4 to 5 years at age 34 to 35. Markakis is several tiers below McCutchen.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would the Pirates want to trade one of their corners instead and slide McCutchen over? I'd like to get Marte and his OBP if they believe he has the arm to play RF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marte is a good trade target I agree, but I can't see why the Pirates would trade him without someone paying a pretty steep price. They have no reason to trade him. He just turned 28 yesterday (Happy Birthday, Starling) has 47 stolen bases this past season with a .362 OBP, is a plus defender and is only owed $23 million over the next 5 years. If anyone would cost Bundy or Gausman it's Marte, not McCutcheon, but obviously the O's are not trading their top young pitchers for any player. If the O's want to make a big splash in the trade market they'd most likely start with guys like Mancini, Reyes and Sisco. They could trade Sedlock, but I think that would be dumb. Not sure about Harvey or if anyone wants him much right now.

I'm not believing people on here are saying they would not want McCutchen on this team. I agree we probably don't have the pieces to pull off a trade for him but if I had the chance I'd do it in a heartbeat. I know he had a down year, but given his career numbers I'd take a chance on a bounce back. I just feel that if you think the championship window is open you might as well try to maximize it while you can.

Oh yeah I'd love to have McCutcheon on the O's. Would I trade Bundy for him? No, and neither will the O's. And they wouldn't need to trade Bundy to get him either. But they would have to trade Mancini, Harvey, etc.

Marte is a good trade target I agree, but I can't see why the Pirates would trade him without someone paying a pretty steep price. They have no reason to trade him. He just turned 28 yesterday (Happy Birthday, Starling) has 47 stolen bases this past season with a .362 OBP, is a plus defender and is only owed $23 million over the next 5 years. If anyone would cost Bundy or Gausman it's Marte, not McCutcheon, but obviously the O's are not trading their top young pitchers for any player. If the O's want to make a big splash in the trade market they'd most likely start with guys like Mancini, Reyes and Sisco. They could trade Sedlock, but I think that would be dumb. Not sure about Harvey or if anyone wants him much right now.

Yeah, I can't imagine trading Marte. I think he's arguably a top 10 player in baseball. I would like any one of Pittsburg's OFers that can play CF - which means most of their OFers.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Heres a chart of hits Andrew McCutchen had a chance to catch color coded by catch rate. He missed 7 bunnies right by him. Blue = easy <a href="https://t.co/svtaetl09r">pic.twitter.com/svtaetl09r</a></p>— Daren Willman (@darenw) <a href="

">October 16, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Yikes.

This is absurd. McCutchen is 30 and already accumulated 41.1fWAR, he's roughly 20-25fWAR from what is generally considered to be a HoF Career. Markakis will be 33 on opening day and has accumulated 24.3fWAR. He needs to add roughly 40 more fWAR. Cutch could very realistically bounced back to his 2015 self and accumulate that 20-25 fWAR in the next 4 to 5 years at age 34 to 35. Markakis is several tiers below McCutchen.

I like the 37.5 from BR myself. i also believe he will end his career under 62 WAR

So why are the Pirates shopping him, if this was just one bad year, and he is going to bounce back and have 4-5 more solid years?

It's the pirates.......I think the answer should be pretty clear. It's all about the dollar dollar bills.

Andrew is going into a potential walk year this year. So they are in a tough spot. If he sucks again, then they're overpaying him for bad production. If he bounces back, then it becomes more difficult to explain to the fan base why they're getting rid of him (no way do they extend him imo.......too expensive).

Pirates are even cheaper than the O's have been (historically). True they could pick up his team option for 2018, but he is already the most highly paid Pirate by far ($13M this year).

It's the pirates.......I think the answer should be pretty clear. It's all about the dollar dollar bills.

Andrew is going into a potential walk year this year. So they are in a tough spot. If he sucks again, then they're overpaying him for bad production. If he bounces back, then it becomes more difficult to explain to the fan base why they're getting rid of him (no way do they extend him imo.......too expensive).

Pirates are even cheaper than the O's have been (historically). True they could pick up his team option for 2018, but he is already the most highly paid Pirate by far ($13M this year).

That makes sense, thanks.

• 1 month later...

It seems the pirates are really shopping him now. Lots of coverage on MLBtraderumors.

Would you give up this for McCutchen (is it enough):

Hunter Harvey

Brad Brach

Wade Miley (seems like a player the pirates would magically turn into something good & probably better some a lot of the free agents available.)

3 minutes ago, oceanicvoyage said:

It seems the pirates are really shopping him now. Lots of coverage on MLBtraderumors.

Would you give up this for McCutchen (is it enough):

Hunter Harvey

Brad Brach

Wade Miley (seems like a player the pirates would magically turn into something good & probably better some a lot of the free agents available.)

Not nearly enough. 

"Looking primarily for prospects."

Archived