Pirates shopping McCutchen

isestrex

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

How are the folks that want McCutchen planning on fitting his 14M salary into the budget?

In my original package, I offered Miley. That would offset some of the salary.

The pirates are said to be looking for bullpen help and another starter. 

Maybe some type of prospect package (Harvey, some B's and C's, maybe Mountcastle) plus Miley and Brach could do the deal.

Helps them compete in the short term and the long term while it helps the O's fill a hole and keep costs relatively the same as if we keep Miley and sign a FA outfielder.

2 hours ago, backwardsk said:

Washington is talking about a package centered around Robles.

1 hour ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Yes, but that gives you a sense of what we would have to offer. They don't pick up the phone unless Sedlock, Sisco, or Hunter Harvey are on the table.

18 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

How are the folks that want McCutchen planning on fitting his 14M salary into the budget?

For someone like McCutchen, $14M is a drop in the bucket. Sure, he's got a bit more risk considering his down year last year, but I fully expect a bounce back and it's just a 2-year risk. To make that $14M back in this year's budget, you non-tender Worley, Flaherty and McFarland. You then trade one of Jimenez, Gallardo or Miley. I do think you'll have to eat some of the money to move them, but given the price of pitching on the market you may not have to eat as much as you would in a normal year. Each only has one year left and Volquez just got 2/$22M off at 5.37 while Cashner landed $10M off a 5.25 ERA. 

If you then go cheap to fill catcher and use Mancini  at DH (or go cheap there if Mancini is part of the deal), I think you can make it work. If Mancini is part of the deal, you target someone like Navarro or Suzuki to throw with the group behind the plate and add a late bat (or two if platooning is cheaper) for DH like Moss, Lind, Guitierrez, Moreland, etc. 

On 11/30/2016 at 7:21 PM, Can_of_corn said:

I can't speak for the people who actually want McCutchen, but if the decision fell to me I would use some of the money earmarked for Trumbo in case he accepted the QO.

• 3 weeks later...

So let's revisit this.  Seems to me McCutcheon would be the one move that really gives the O's a chance to compete for the division and a world championship.

McCutcheon - CF/RF

Kim/Rickard - LF

Machado - 3B

Davis - 1B

Jones - CF/RF

Schoop - 2B

Alavarez - DH

Castillo - C

Hardy - SS

I'm assuming if we add 14M for McCutcheon, that Trumbo is gone, and they re-sign Pedro on the cheap to be the DH.  That's not a bad lineup, IMO.

So.....what'll it take to get McCutcheon?  I'm not giving up Bundy or Gausman for anyone.  So between Brach, Walker, Mancini, Harvey, Sisco, other prospects, etc., what would it take to pry him from the Pirates?  I'm not too concerned with draining the farm system, as quite frankly I expect Britton, Machado, and possibly Jones (any maybe others veterans) to be traded before the end of the 2018 season anyway for a haul of prospects to rebuild our system (unless we go deep into this years postseason and are running away with the division in 2018).  This would strictly be a win in 2017 move, and possibly even allow us to flip him and recoup some prospects unless we're running away with a division title in 2018.  Then you go all in for the WS title.  But I digress....so what kind of package could we come up with the get Andrew that doesn't include Bundy and Gausman?

1 hour ago, backwardsk said:

Pittsburgh wanted Giolito AND Robles.

We don't have anything close in the minors.  I'd love to McCutchen, but we don't have the resources to get it done without hitting the MLB team too hard.

This.  We don't have enough to trade for AM without giving up Gausman or Bundy

Archived