- 19 saves

Jim Hoey

- At Norfolk: 3.86 ERA, 0.86 WHIP, .182 BAA, 15.42 K/9, 6.00 K/BB

- At Bowie: 0.00 ERA, 0.91 WHIP, .200 BAA, 13.50 K/9, 7.00 K/BB

- 15 saves

J.R. House

- .298/.364/.437 overall

- .328/.375/.500 vs. LHP

- .309/.378/.509 on the road (Norfolk is a notorious pitchers' park)

It's so easy, a caveman could do it!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So DL Baez ...

DFA Williams ...

Release Castillo ...

While we are at it ... Burress to the pen, Parrish to the minors and Olson into the rotation.

While we are at it ... Demote Bynum and bring up Majewski.

While we are at it ... DL or DFA Gibbons and bring up Knott ... I know his average sucks, but I bet he produces if he is brought up and allowed to play against lefties.

I can't agree that Hoey is ready. The Norfolk's home park is no indicator of how someone is pitching. Hoey has a 5.79 ERA on the road. I'd wait on him.

Some may be underestimating the pitcher's park effect at Norfolk, but I'd say you're overestimating it. Peripheral stats are the best statistical indicator of future success for a pitcher, and they have (pretty much) nothing to do with the park. Hoey's peripherals are excellent (2.1 BB/9, 14.0 K/9, and a slightly favorable GO/FO ratio), and were excellent last year. He has now allowed a total of 4 HR in 77 innings between A-A+-AA-AAA since last year, an impressive stat regardless of the park. There is really no question that he's a better option than Todd Williams right now, at least.

So DL Baez ...

DFA Williams ...

Release Castillo ...

While we are at it ... Burress to the pen, Parrish to the minors and Olson into the rotation.

While we are at it ... Demote Bynum and bring up Majewski.

While we are at it ... DL or DFA Gibbons and bring up Knott ... I know his average sucks, but I bet he produces if he is brought up and allowed to play against lefties.

You know it and I know this DL'ing active players just to get them off of the 25-man roster won't fly. As a doctor has to certify that a player is disabled and even if they could get one to do it, the MLBPA would be all over it, if the player balks at it.

Some may be underestimating the pitcher's park effect at Norfolk, but I'd say you're overestimating it. Peripheral stats are the best statistical indicator of future success for a pitcher, and they have (pretty much) nothing to do with the park. Hoey's peripherals are excellent (2.1 BB/9, 14.0 K/9, and a slightly favorable GO/FO ratio), and were excellent last year. He has now allowed a total of 4 HR in 77 innings between A-A+-AA-AAA since last year, an impressive stat regardless of the park. There is really no question that he's a better option than Todd Williams right now, at least.

Strikeouts are nice but the real gauge of whether a pitcher is effective is how many earned runs he allows. A guy who strikes out the side but allows a two run homer was not effective.

It is not a question of whether Hoey is better than Williams. Hoey was with the O's last year and got beat up. (10.24 ERA). You can say he was tired. It really doesn't matter why he did badly.

He has moved from AA, where he dominated, to AAA. He has not done well in parks other then the huge Norfolk park. He needs to do better before he is called up. Using him like a yo-yo between AAA and the major will not help his development. I'd like to see him make the adjustments neccessary to be effective at AAA before he is thrown into what is currently a bad situation in the the O's pen.

Strikeouts are nice but the real gauge of whether a pitcher is effective is how many earned runs he allows. A guy who strikes out the side but allows a two run homer was not effective.

It is not a question of whether Hoey is better than Williams. Hoey was with the O's last year and got beat up. (10.24 ERA). You can say he was tired. It really doesn't matter why he did badly.

He has moved from AA, where he dominated, to AAA. He has not done well in parks other then the huge Norfolk park. He needs to do better before he is called up. Using him like a yo-yo between AAA and the major will not help his development. I'd like to see him make the adjustments neccessary to be effective at AAA before he is thrown into what is currently a bad situation in the the O's pen.

Of course it does. You have to take into consideration why someone does something. It is like saying that park effects don't matter when reviewing stats.

Or like saying that it doesn't matter why Loewen was wild this year...

All things need to be taken into consideration.

I can't agree that Hoey is ready. The Norfolk's home park is no indicator of how someone is pitching. Hoey has a 5.79 ERA on the road. I'd wait on him.

Oh, come on. We're not talking big sample size here. Your argument boils down to the fact that he allowed a 2-run homer on the road in a meaningless situation. He's struck out 8 guys on the road in 4.2 innings of work, allowed 4 hits and 2 walks.

If you want to argue for Doyne over Hoey, fine. But they both deserve to be up here.

Of course it does. You have to take into consideration why someone does something. It is like saying that park effects don't matter when reviewing stats.

Or like saying that it doesn't matter why Loewen was wild this year...

All things need to be taken into consideration.

OK. You are right. It needs to be considered. But it does not change the fact that if Hoey is not effective in a normal AAA park he is probably not going to be effective in the majors.

OK. You are right. It needs to be considered. But it does not change the fact that if Hoey is not effective in a normal AAA park he is probably not going to be effective in the majors.

I agree that everything has value. Hoey has a small sample size in AAA this year, some players make the jump from AA to the majors.

I think we should give him a shot sooner than later to see what his mid season arm has to offer at the MLB level. Then we have no excuses. ;)

Peripheral stats are the best statistical indicator of future success for a pitcher, and they have (pretty much) nothing to do with the park.
Not true. Parks effect specific numbers, like K's and BB's, as well. Plus, HRs allowed is one of those periferals, and thats definitely park dependant.

The deviation in specific stats might not be as drastic as overall runs scored, but they most definitely are also park dependant.

Even through the number of earned runs he allows is, in addition to his own contributions, impacted by the defense behind him, the park he plays in, and the pitchers who have followed him?

The idea is to try to isolate what the pitcher can control, and attempt to quantify his ability in those areas.

Strikeouts are but a part of the picture. As Jenius said, you want to look at his peripheral statistics. Walks, HBPs as well the ability to induce ground balls (and thus prevent home runs) are all part of this mix.

Hoey's pitched 4.2 innings away from Norfolk in AAA and only 7 innings overall in AAA. Erik Bedard had a 5.84 ERA on June 6 of last year after 70 innings, and had a 5.60 ERA after 40 innings this year.

Archived