Start Mancini at 1B Against Lefties in 2017 (Davis DH or COF vs lefties)

FanSince88

This seems like a workable compromise. Mancini needs reps at the MLB level. I know Davis wants to play 1B, and I want him there too because of his excellent defense.

This way, CD gets to play first ~two-thirds of the time. Plus it gives Buck an excuse not to play Kim vs lefties ;).

I want to see Mancini get some fielding experience in 2017 not just DH because a) it improves his trade value (if we decide to deal him which I don't necessarily favor) and b) he's ready to step in for CD if CD gets injured.

If both Davis and Mancini are playing full time, it doesn't matter what hand the pitcher is throwing with. You want our starting 1B to be the best player at the position. Sure, whoever is the backup should get some reps, more to keep the starter rested than anything else.

Mancini at 1B only helps his trade value if he is any good. Do you know anything about his defense or are you just hoping?

Mancini should get the Kim treatment and start as a platoon player, and gradually give him more reps as he proves himself.

Mancini should get the Kim treatment and start as a platoon player, and gradually give him more reps as he proves himself.

That's essentially what I'm suggesting. Limit his exposure and put him in positions to succeed. I wouldn't start him anywhere vs RHP initially. See what he's got at defense -- maybe he woodsheds over the offseason on his D. We've seen CD improve his D, maybe Mancini can do the same. If he's a butcher you can always fall back on a DH platoon. But would prefer for him to see some time in the field if he can be serviceable. Plus, would like CD to get occasional work in the OF to keep him sharp in case an OF goes down with injury.

If he's maintaining .290 - .300 by mid-June, maybe we promote him to full time DH then.

Did this really need its own thread?

1. Davis is a really good defensive 1st baseman.

2. Mancini is not. Buck loves defense and so do I. Watch the picks Davis made in the WC game on those GIDP's in the middle innings.

Davis can and will play a little OF for you in a season. But wanting him there full time is pretty much saying that we should put Britton in the rotation. It's a fan pipe dream. Stick to what works.

I'd DH Mancini, with Davis at 1b. Against some lefty starters, give Davis a day off and play Mancini at 1B. You could also maybe DH Davis once a week and play Mancini at first to keep Davis fresh.

This assumes Mancini's bat plays at this level, which is certainly not a sure thing.

I'd DH Mancini, with Davis at 1b. Against some lefty starters, give Davis a day off and play Mancini at 1B. You could also maybe DH Davis once a week and play Mancini at first to keep Davis fresh.

This assumes Mancini's bat plays at this level, which is certainly not a sure thing.

Davis is going to play a majority of the games at first, baring injury. Doesn't take an Engineer to see that. :)

If I want to help Davis' freshness I'd give him a day off rather than DH him.

If I want to help Davis' freshness I'd give him a day off rather than DH him.

That's pretty much what I said. Give him a day off against certain lefty starters and maybe DH him another day in the same week.

If both Davis and Mancini are playing full time, it doesn't matter what hand the pitcher is throwing with. You want our starting 1B to be the best player at the position. Sure, whoever is the backup should get some reps, more to keep the starter rested than anything else.

Mancini at 1B only helps his trade value if he is any good. Do you know anything about his defense or are you just hoping?

He's very good defensively. Looked like Little Davis in Norfolk.

Why make any change with Mancini? I think DH is the best for him.

Ha! I started a very similar thread asking why not move Davis to right, to make room for Mancini. So I like the OP's suggestion. But the more I think about it, the less likely it will be for them to move Davis off 1B... unless CD decides he wants to.

I guess that's what happens when you sign a mega contract.

Trey is a beast. He will be kicking down the door this spring. I hope they just don't sentence him from the very beginning to be only a DH and can get him some play at first to keep his skills if nothing else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hope so as well, but that will all be dependent on who plays RF. Heaven for bid if we don't pick on up, Davis is out there in RF I'd think.

Trey is a beast. He will be kicking down the door this spring. I hope they just don't sentence him from the very beginning to be only a DH and can get him some play at first to keep his skills if nothing else.

I'd wager Davis is only slightly more valuable (maybe not at all) than Mancini would be with regular PT going forward. Not because I think all that much of Mancini, but because Davis likely gets markedly worse than what we saw this year from him. I should specify offensively because I was quite surprised at the year he had on defense.

I thought I could hold my nose for at least the first three years of the contract, but I can't seem to shake a sickening feeling about it. I would like to see if Mancini can hold his own as more than just a platoon player.

I'd wager Davis is only slightly more valuable (maybe not at all) than Mancini would be with regular PT going forward. Not because I think all that much of Mancini, but because Davis likely gets markedly worse than what we saw this year from him. I should specify offensively because I was quite surprised at the year he had on defense.

I thought I could hold my nose for at least the first three years of the contract, but I can't seem to shake a sickening feeling about it. I would like to see if Mancini can hold his own as more than just a platoon player.

I think Davis will be a bit better offensively next year if he is healthy. But I really think Trey is going to be a much better big league player than the current wisdom says.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived