Any chance Hardy would be a bench player this season?

Enjoy Terror

Simple question, just curious if that's unprecedented at his $14M salary this season.  Not entirely related but it seems unlikely that even in a full time role Hardy hits 600 PAs for his 2018 option to vest.

Would the Orioles consider looking at the 3B/SS market and have Hardy replace/join Flaherty on the bench as a backup infielder? Flaherty is still somewhat inexpensive, but Hardy isn't a spring chicken. The market for a full time 3B/SS isn't great... maybe Luis Valbuena or dare I say Justin Turner?

Even in my own mind it seems like a stretch, but has anyone else considered this as a possibility?

Hardy will be the starting SS but the O's need to sign a backup IFer  at AAA.   Hardy is injury prone at the point.  Manny can slide over to SS.  The O's need a player to bring up from AAA to be on the bench.  Janish was that guy last year but I don't know if he is coming back.

47 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Simple question, just curious if that's unprecedented at his $14M salary this season.  Not entirely related but it seems unlikely that even in a full time role Hardy hits 600 PAs for his 2018 option to vest.

Would the Orioles consider looking at the 3B/SS market and have Hardy replace/join Flaherty on the bench as a backup infielder? Flaherty is still somewhat inexpensive, but Hardy isn't a spring chicken. The market for a full time 3B/SS isn't great... maybe Luis Valbuena or dare I say Justin Turner?

Even in my own mind it seems like a stretch, but has anyone else considered this as a possibility?

Na. Never. 

No way at the start of the year. He's not as good as he once was but he's still a positive contributor and there are too many other holes to address.

I think the only way he's not the starter throughout 2017 is if he's injured or if he goes into a truly epic slump. 

Hardy is the least of our worries.  Just sucks that he has a bad back.  You can tell it bothers him all the time.  He stands further off the plate now.  He looks skinny as heck.  Probably can't lift the way he wants to.  Plus you have to love that he only swings at like 3% of first pitches.  We need more guys to take a pitch.  

This team needs to focus on adding a C, 2 OF's, and a LH DH.  

On 11/25/2016 at 3:29 PM, wildcard said:

Hardy will be the starting SS but the O's need to sign a backup IFer  at AAA.   Hardy is injury prone at the point.  Manny can slide over to SS.  The O's need a player to bring up from AAA to be on the bench.  Janish was that guy last year but I don't know if he is coming back.

I'd give a lot of thought about going after Valbuena.  He'd be a DH with OBP, and no need for a utility player.  Could be the starting 3B in 2018.

Under Buck, Hardy is the starter as long he is healthy and playing solid defense. Possibly in 2018 if his option vests. He was on a 162-game pace for 617 PA's last year if he had been healthy. He was pretty much an every day starter when not on the DL and his foot injury was unrelated to previous injuries.

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Under Buck, Hardy is the starter as long he is healthy and playing solid defense. Possibly in 2018 if his option vests. He was on a 162-game pace for 617 PA's last year if he had been healthy. He was pretty much an every day starter when not on the DL and his foot injury was unrelated to previous injuries.

Buck would be committing managerial malpractice if Hardy played enough games to get 600 PA.    He needs some days off even if he's close to 100% healthy this year.    So, I don't expect his option to vest.    However, if he puts up a 2+ WAR season, I expect the O's to exercise his option.   

Archived