Update: O's sign Trumbo to 3yr/$37 mil deal

Dark Helmet

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, MurphDogg said:

I like this deal as long as Trumbo is primarily a DH/1B and plays fewer than 30 games a year in the outfield.

Except that its severely overpaying for a DH who doesn't really get on base. Might as well let Trumbo play RF, if you're paying him $13M per year. 

40 million or less for Mark Trumbo is a hell of a deal. He would have received a lot bigger contract in year's past. A three year contract is also not going to hurt the Orioles. The Orioles are not going to resign Manny and they probably also won't resign Zach Britton. They had some money they could spend. 40 million dollars in MLB is like a dollar to an ordinary person. Very cheap deal. Give me a Trumbomb baby!

1 minute ago, jabba72 said:

Except that its severely overpaying for a DH who doesn't really get on base. Might as well let Trumbo play RF, if you're paying him $13M per year. 

Severely overpaying?

They are paying him to be worth about 1.5 WAR per season over the next three years. I don't think that is an unrealistic target for him to hit. 

Just now, MurphDogg said:

Severely overpaying?

They are paying him to be worth about 1.5 WAR per season over the next three years. I don't think that is an unrealistic target for him to hit. 

I don't either.  I also do not expect him to be as good as last year at the plate. 

3 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! SIGN PAGAN!!!!

They still could. The Roch article says "Duquette indicated that he’d like to add another left-handed hitting outfielder with plus defensive skills." Now that could mean a different and cheaper guy than Pagan, but Pagan is close enough to that profile that we might still target him.

I wasn't advocating for bringing Trumbo back but 3 years and less than $40M isn't really an overpay on its own. It's just less bang for the buck than I think whoever signs Alvarez and Carter are likely to get. 

Archived