Various Orioles related FanGraphs articles

ArtVanDelay

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I will take Dan and Buck's opinion that Trumbo is a important player for them over Cameron's feeling that Trumbo is not that valuable to the O's.

The Trumbo deal is way too high on the list, and arguably doesn't belong at all.     

31 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The Trumbo deal is way too high on the list, and arguably doesn't belong at all.     

It's Cameron.  His bias doesn't surprise me at all.  The guy even admits that the Orioles got a good deal and that if any other team had signed Trumbo for the same amount it wouldn't have been on the list.  Ridiculous.

12 minutes ago, Number5 said:

It's Cameron.  His bias doesn't surprise me at all.  The guy even admits that the Orioles got a good deal and that if any other team had signed Trumbo for the same amount it wouldn't have been on the list.  Ridiculous.

I'm not accusing him of bias.    I don't really disagree with his reservations about the signing.    I just think it's not "worthy" of a "10 worst moves" list, much less a no. 4 ranking.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I'm not accusing him of bias.    I don't really disagree with his reservations about the signing.    I just think it

His bias is obvious in virtually everything Orioles-related that he writes.  In this case he actually goes so far as to flat-out admit it.  Attempting to say that the reason that a signing that would be a good one for any other team is a bed one for Baltimore is that it is not good to have two power hitters hitting back-to-back is beyond absurd.  Sorry, the guy is biased to a ridiculous degree.  That is my opinion, and it would take years of reversing his biased writing to change that.

42 minutes ago, Number5 said:

His bias is obvious in virtually everything Orioles-related that he writes.  In this case he actually goes so far as to flat-out admit it.  Attempting to say that the reason that a signing that would be a good one for any other team is a bed one for Baltimore is that it is not good to have two power hitters hitting back-to-back is beyond absurd.  Sorry, the guy is biased to a ridiculous degree.  That is my opinion, and it would take years of reversing his biased writing to change that.

He wasn't "admitting bias". He was acknowledging that the Orioles roster construction made Trumbo less valuable to them than he would be for other teams. Particularly teams that could use him at first base. There's bias showing here for sure, but it isn't from Cameron.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

I will take Dan and Buck's opinion that Trumbo is a important player for them over Cameron's feeling that Trumbo is not that valuable to the O's.

I'm not saying Cameron is right, but appealing to authority (Buck/Dan) isn't exactly a great counterargument. Of course Buck and Dan are going to publicly praise their player. That doesn't hold much water when considering whether Trumbo's deal was good or bad, value-wise.

2 hours ago, Number5 said:

But his reason wasn't that, his reason was that Trumbo is effectively a worse player when he plays DH or Rf than when he plays 1b.

I expected Trumbo's deal to make the list, but I wouldn't have thought it'd be as high as #4. To be honest, there weren't that many particularly bad moves this winter. The lack of big time FAs meant there wasn't room for many vast overpays, and most of the trades that were made are defensible from both sides. I look at this list of 10 worst transactions and think that plenty of them are going to work out fine, even if they weren't optimal. So it's not a huge indictment. Cameron even explains that at the beginning of the article. 

Also, Cameron's list includes the Twins not trading Dozier. If non-moves are allowed, one of the top items on my list would be the Nationals, as a team on the short list of World Series favorites, not bringing in a closer or other top reliever despite the bullpen being their obvious main weakness. 

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/instagraphs/heres-where-the-projections-disagree/

Zips added to the projection.

But, Blue Jays fans might’ve noticed a bump in the projected standings today. That’s because ZiPS likes them about five wins better than Steamer does. Ditto the Orioles and, partially, the Mets. You also see the Cubs get a bump, with Steamer being a little higher on the Dodgers. But Steamer has the biggest positive disagreement in the directions of both the Royals and Yankees, who Steamer likes more by four and a half wins.

7 hours ago, Number5 said:

Did you even read the article?

Archived