What Will Happen to Wieters?

Bahama O's Fan

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

It's speculation.  Nobody really knows. 

Exactly, my question was kind of rhetorical.  

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I don't feel bad for him.  He made 17 million last year for the QO.  I'm sure we offered him some pretty fair extensions after he accepted that.  He could have signed a 2 yr deal with us this offseason and tried to win with everyone else.  Now he's going to have to sign a short term deal and if he does any good he will be dealt at the deadline.  

Sure, when you look at it that way it's hard to feel bad for any pro athlete because you can automatically point to their bank account.  Hopefully for his sake, he's invested well and will never have to work a day after his playing days are over.  One should be so lucky.

I meant it more from the perspective of a guy who's headed into his early 30s and his body is starting to betray him a little and might not be able to play the game for too much longer.  Happens to everyone, doesn't mean it's not sad to see.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Exactly, my question was kind of rhetorical.  

Sure, when you look at it that way it's hard to feel bad for any pro athlete because you can automatically point to their bank account.  Hopefully for his sake, he's invested well and will never have to work a day after his playing days are over.  One should be so lucky.

I meant it more from the perspective of a guy who's headed into his early 30s and his body is starting to betray him a little and might not be able to play the game for too much longer.  Happens to everyone, doesn't mean it's not sad to see.

I find it interesting how sympathetic you've become towards Matt Wieters now that he's likely done as an Oriole, considering how critical you were of his play while he was here.   I think it speaks well of you, actually.  

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I find it interesting how sympathetic you've become towards Matt Wieters now that he's likely done as an Oriole, considering how critical you were of his play while he was here.   I think it speaks well of you, actually.  

Thanks, Frobby.  I'm happy you think so highly of me.

Sure, I was critical of Wieters but I always came back to the feeling that while he wasn't the most perfect catcher around, replacing him would be hard and there weren't many catchers out there that I'd rather have.  He was usually great as a defender, excellent at throwing runners out and at times maddening as a hitter.  I've never seen a hitter with a bat look so slow when striking out or popping up and then looking as quick and fluid when squaring up. There were times that he was an automatic out, there were also times where he was scorching hot.  If that's being critical of his play, so be it.  

On 1/16/2017 at 10:41 AM, ArtVanDelay said:

Uhhh, why?

Wieters isn't very good.  Teams are looking for good pitch framers and Wieters is one of the worst. 

He's not very good?  In general or strictly pitch framing?

You might be letting a bias get in the way if you are saying Matt Wieters isn't a very good baseball player.  

22 hours ago, cimota said:

Combined our catchers would make less than what Wieters and Joseph made last year.  

The O's did not expect Wieters to accept the QO last year. Spending that much was a blunder--or at least a plan gone awry--and not a valid comparison.

$8 million is still a lot of money that could be spent more fruitfully than on  a back-up catcher. With Castillo on-board, bringing Wieters back would be an absurd move.

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

As for Wieters, I'm thankful he had Bora's as an agent which saved us from a long term contract.

I think Boras really blew it for Wieters the last two years.    He took the QO betting that the market would be stronger this year, and then he made it clear he was going to slow-play Wieters this winter, pushing the Orioles in another direction.    We'll see what deal he ultimately gets for Wieters, but I suspect he would have earned more total dollars by taking the best long-term deal he could have gotten last winter, and possibly even a deal with the Orioles.    

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think Boras really blew it for Wieters the last two years.    He took the QO betting that the market would be stronger this year, and then he made it clear he was going to slow-play Wieters this winter, pushing the Orioles in another direction.    We'll see what deal he ultimately gets for Wieters, but I suspect he would have earned more total dollars by taking the best long-term deal he could have gotten last winter, and possibly even a deal with the Orioles.    

He might have accepted the QO because there wasn't anything better out there.  Maybe all he was seeing was one year make good type contracts?  He wasn't exactly healthy or good in 2015.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I can't remember: were any such deals actually offered?

5 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Not sure why people were scared about TJ.

A majority of pitchers bounce back and are just fine.

There appears to be a correlation between TJ surgery in position players and their post surgery offense.

Not enough data points to make a definite case.

Archived