May 27th: Yankees at O's

Balmer Bomber

The field is soaked and is rather muddy. The field is probably not to playable right now.

Once the rain stops all they have to do is put that quick dry stuff on the infield...I'm pretty sure the outfield has a draining system.

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Trems could've ran out there and talked to Sherrill and got the game delayed.

BUT, he probably wanted that matchup to Matsui and thought the rain was to his pitcher's advantage.

I wonder what he was so angry about though....maybe they should've called it earlier.

He's probably angry that they had to even make an issue out of it. I mean, the umps were clearly trying to "get it in" but it was obvious that they were not going to get the bottom half of the inning in, so you might as well delay at that moment.

I don't see how it's in anyone's advantage to play in that crap. It's a risk for both.

-A ground ball wont go far on a soaked field. Advantage defense.

-Hard to see the ball. Advantage pitcher at first but just as hard for defense if he makes contact.

-Slower running in mud. Hurts runners. Potentially hurts defense depending on where ball is hit and position of the fielder.

- Slippery mound hurts pitcher. Could injure pitcher.

And plenty of other situations. Maybe it does hurt one side more than the other overall but I'd rather no one deal with it.

I think the Orioles need to go to someone higher up and ask why they seemingly never get their games called off to delay when bad weather hits. Between this game and the Chicago game its been amazing to me that they wont call a game off and put the tarp out. Its going to take someone getting hurt I guess.

also, MASNHD's alternate programming is a nice HD Still shot..way to go!

If I was one of those managers I would have pulled my team off the field due to safety concerns and dared the umps to do anything about it.

Can't see how an umpire would want to go through all of the crap from not delaying a game in a downpour and then ejecting the manager or forfeiting the game because of their own stupidity.

There would be umpire suspensions involved, for sure.

The field is soaked and is rather muddy. The field is probably not to playable right now.

It's not that bad. They have stuff to put on the dirt to dry it up once they remove the tarp. Plus there is a drainage system. I doubt it will take more than an hour.

This delay only exacerbates the mistake of bringing in Sherrill to pitch the ninth because they probably won't have him pitch in the tenth after a 30 minute rain delay meaning that we have Walker pitch the 10th against two lefties and a switch hitter and only Albers behind him.

He's probably angry that they had to even make an issue out of it. I mean, the umps were clearly trying to "get it in" but it was obvious that they were not going to get the bottom half of the inning in, so you might as well delay at that moment.

Yeah, you're probably right.

This delay only exacerbates the mistake of bringing in Sherrill to pitch the ninth because they probably won't have him pitch in the tenth after a 30 minute rain delay meaning that we have Walker pitch the 10th against two lefties and a switch hitter and only Albers behind him.

If Sherrill is able to go for inning 10 then I'm confident with Albers for 11, 12, and 13. And you can't plan for a game lasting much longer than that. If they bring in Walker, well, I'm still confident with Albers.

Granted I think it was a mistake to have Sherrill warming up to begin with, but once he's up...

Archived