Log jam in the outfield - Kim on the hot seat

1968_bills_fan

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Ryan Flaherty playing LF tells me it's time to trade Kim for assets, if they don't want to use him.

Flaherty has strong career numbers against Porcello. So does JJ Hardy. That's why Flash was in LF and not at SS.

The AL East is fat with left-handed starting pitchers. When the O's finally get out of divisional play for a bit, we'll see more of Kim.

11 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

Flaherty has strong career numbers against Porcello. So does JJ Hardy. That's why Flash was in LF and not at SS.

The AL East is fat with left-handed starting pitchers. When the O's finally get out of divisional play for a bit, we'll see more of Kim.

And Schoop had really poor numbers against Porcello.  So why not sit Schoop?

Buck looks for reasons to sit Kim.

Left hander- Sit Kim (despite his KBO splits)

Knuckleball- Sit Kim

Fenway- Sit Kim

37 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Knuckleball- Sit Kim

Fenway- Sit Kim

Is there really any situation where you'd rather sit Schoop than Kim?

Buck is trying to win games. He feels like he's doing what's in the team's best interests. Kim will play when Kim will play. It's not like he's beating down the door. He's just in a rotation with a bunch of other guys that do more or less the same stuff.

51 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

Is there really any situation where you'd rather sit Schoop than Kim?

Buck is trying to win games. He feels like he's doing what's in the team's best interests. Kim will play when Kim will play. It's not like he's beating down the door. He's just in a rotation with a bunch of other guys that do more or less the same stuff.

Sure, the second half of last year when Schoop put up a 252! OBP.

Of course what I want is irrelevant.  If Buck is making decisions based on hitter/pitcher matchups than he needs to be consistent about it and not just use them as a way to not play Kim.

How exactly do other players that he is sharing time with do the "same stuff"?  Kim is a guy that can get on base and work a count.  That isn't anyone he is competing for time with.

23 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Kim is a guy that can get on base and work a count.  That isn't anyone he is competing for time with.

Exactly.  Which is why it's so frustrating to not see him in there.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Knuckleball- Sit Kim

Fenway- Sit Kim

I think so too. Flaherty over Kim in left was a pretty clear message to me that if Kim stays on the roster, he'll see south of 300 PAs on the year. Too bad, really. I just hope Kim sticks around in the majors after this. He deserves a chance to see what he could do with 500+ ABs.

22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure, the second half of last year when Schoop put up a 252! OBP.

Of course what I want is irrelevant.  If Buck is making decisions based on hitter/pitcher matchups than he needs to be consistent about it and not just use them as a way to not play Kim.

How exactly do other players that he is sharing time with do the "same stuff"?  Kim is a guy that can get on base and work a count.  That isn't anyone he is competing for time with.

The only explanation that I can come up with is that Kim has some playing idiosyncrasy that annoys Buck...maybe whatever the fielding equivalent of having a long TTP is.   He would rather see Flash crazy leg it out there than Kim.

16 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

The only explanation that I can come up with is that Kim has some playing idiosyncrasy that annoys Buck...maybe whatever the fielding equivalent of having a long TTP is.   He would rather see Flash crazy leg it out there than Kim.

Earl would have played him.

What was Joey Rickard still doing in a game where the lefty had been pulled?

Buck needs to pick between Rickard and Gentry. Gentry got the call to play CF when Adam was ejected, rather than sliding Rickard over, so clearly Buck favors Gentry's glove to Rickard's glove. But Rickard was starting, so Buck prefers Rickard's bat to Gentry's bat. But Rickard's bat is so marginal that it should be a non-factor in this decision. If Buck likes Gentry as the backup CF then Rickard doesn't have a role, IMO.

I have a feeling that Kim is about to see a boost in playing time. Playing more games outside the East, we shouldn't be seeing as many lefty starters in May. And I'm hoping having Kim at the top of the lineup more consistently will help to boost the scoring.

Archived