Are the Blue Jays Done?

Uli2001

They are 10-20 after 30, and 10 games back. Some people prefer 40 games as a reliable bellwether. Even if they go 10-0 in the next 10 games, they would still be a mediocre .500 after 40. More realistically, they will probably be way below .500 at the 40-game mark. It's a big hole they dug there.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't say they're done for sure, but they'd need at least one major extended hot streak and they'd probably need a lot of it to be against the rest of the East. I don't see that happening until/unless they get fully healthy, and that's most likely too late.  

They started the season winning 1 out of their first 10 games.  Since then, they've picked up the pace, but still only winning 9 out of their last 20 games, under .500 even since their "improvement".  They don't seem like a winning club based on the first 30 games, but you never know.  Only *slightly* under .500 over the past 20 games.

21 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

They are 10-20 after 30, and 10 games back. Some people prefer 40 games as a reliable bellwether. Even if they go 10-0 in the next 10 games, they would still be a mediocre .500 after 40. More realistically, they will probably be way below .500 at the 40-game mark. It's a big hole they dug there.

Of course. 

Seems like their depth was pretty horrible. The Opening Day 25 man was strong but after that...not much. Who was their 6th starter? Mat Latos? I think they just signed him too. 4th outfielder? replacement level Carrera? Underwhelming options at first and DH.

A combination of bad luck injuries, slow starts, and a lack of depth put them in too far of a hole.

3 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

Seems like their depth was pretty horrible. The Opening Day 25 man was strong but after that...not much. Who was their 6th starter? Mat Latos? I think they just signed him too. 4th outfielder? replacement level Carrera? Underwhelming options at first and DH.

A combination of bad luck injuries, slow starts, and a lack of depth put them in too far of a hole.

Don't get their lack of spending. Their owners are rich and they have the whole country to themselves. If there was a time to go for it I thought it would be now. Lost EE. Morales hasn't been bad but still. Losing Donaldson killed them. Still a ton of talent. I don't see the season getting completely away from them unless they start dealing. To be fair a lot has gone wrong for them. Happ and Sanchez only 3 starts. The pen stinks, not surprised by that.  

Archived