2017 Orioles Draft Tracker

On 6/21/2017 at 4:47 PM, csgordos said:

Until they pass "the physical" and the Orioles release that they are signed, I am hesitant to believe it is done. Still gunshy from previous failed physicals. Nice to se some of the HS players have signed, granted just a few and the less $ guys. Maybe this is the year we get 1-2 more of the harder to sign players. 

Just bumping this for prescience.

We all agree that it's done for the year?

So the O's saved a bit over 900K out of the draft pool.  This is roughly equivalent to the pool value of the comp B picks Dan has traded away.

Coincidence?

Between not signing the fourth round pick and stocking up on senior signs the O's are really going to have to hit on the guys at the very top of this draft.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

We all agree that it's done for the year?

So the O's saved a bit over 900K out of the draft pool.  This is roughly equivalent to the pool value of the comp B picks Dan has traded away.

Coincidence?

Between not signing the fourth round pick and stocking up on senior signs the O's are really going to have to hit on the guys at the very top of this draft.

I hate to believe it was to save money, if so that is quite stupid. Investing in the draft is like investing in a 401K where your employer matches your investment, it's like throwing away free money. All the top picks would get more in the open market, you are basically acquiring subsidized assets through the draft.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

I hate to believe it was to save money, if so that is quite stupid. Investing in the draft is like investing in a 401K where your employer matches your investment, it's like throwing away free money. All the top picks would get more in the open market, you are basically acquiring subsidized assets through the draft.

Can't the same be said of the international market?

At times in the past Angelos has ordered the team to go with sign-ability options in the first round to reduce costs.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Can't the same be said of the international market?

At times in the past Angelos has ordered the team to go with sign-ability options in the first round to reduce costs.

I thought the international market issues were over some personal objections to the international market process.

Even if money is the end all be all, it doesn't make sense, you could easily spend money on the draft and international signings and then use the prospects you acquire to package and get rid of bad contracts, it'd only take one top 100 prospect to clear 20ish million in salary.

1 minute ago, phillyOs119 said:

I thought the international market issues were over some personal objections to the international market process.

Even if money is the end all be all, it doesn't make sense, you could easily spend money on the draft and international signings and then use the prospects you acquire to package and get rid of bad contracts, it'd only take one top 100 prospect to clear 20ish million in salary.

Didn't say I thought it made sense.

I think that at some level ownership wants to spend money on "proven commodities".

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

Of course you are right.  If the Orioles just wanted to save that money, they would not have drafted Conlon and would have gone with an under-slot pick.  Conlon failed the physical.  Any suggestion that whatever the doctors found is imaginary is just silly, IMO.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Of course you are right.  If the Orioles just wanted to save that money, they would not have drafted Conlon and would have gone with an under-slot pick.  Conlon failed the physical.  Any suggestion that whatever the doctors found is imaginary is just silly, IMO.

I agree.  Was just stating that is a theory that some people posit.  I think I recall some national level folks making comments about it even.

So posters on OH are "armchair experts" when they are concerned Sisco cannot stick behind the plate. These opinions based on a number of reports including those by reputable posters including Tony who has scouted thousands of players. 

But having never seen a shred of medical documentation on Conlon, you've come to the determination the Orioles have fabricated an physical issue with a draft pick in order to get out of signing him and saving money. I mean, you haven't come to the determination, but rather just positing a theory that people have. One that you think you remember some other people making a comment about. 

Not that you had much credibility before, but I think it's all gone now. 

18 minutes ago, MachoMachadoMan said:

So posters on OH are "armchair experts" when they are concerned Sisco cannot stick behind the plate. These opinions based on a number of reports including those by reputable posters including Tony who has scouted thousands of players. 

But having never seen a shred of medical documentation on Conlon, you've come to the determination the Orioles have fabricated an physical issue with a draft pick in order to get out of signing him and saving money. I mean, you haven't come to the determination, but rather just positing a theory that people have. One that you think you remember some other people making a comment about. 

Actually I stated that didn't believe that. I'm sure I am not the only one that remembers those comments after the Balfour and Gallardo incidents.

13 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Didn't say I thought it made sense.

I think that at some level ownership wants to spend money on "proven commodities".

I agree; it's obvious they feel for some reason it makes more economic sense to spend money on major leaguers than prospects.  But it's frustrating to think that no one in the organization can convince ownership it makes more sense (both from an economic and baseball perspective) to spend a couple million on several international prospects than $161M on Davis.  They're ok spending $260M+ on Davis/Trumbo/Ubaldo/Gallardo, but balk at spending a couple million on comp balance picks and international prospects?  It's just incredibly frustrating as a fan to see this gross mismanagement.

• Upvote 2

On 7/8/2017 at 9:08 AM, MachoMachadoMan said:

I have not seen a source (I certainly may have missed it) so I am asking the question...do we know they didn't sign him due to a failed physical?

3 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

I have not seen a source (I certainly may have missed it) so I am asking the question...do we know they didn't sign him due to a failed physical?

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/unsigned-orioles-pick-jack-conlon-becomes-free-agent/#eE3eWwZ4CzjXiPZG.97

The Orioles alleged that Conlon failed his physical with the team, and they made no offer to Conlon after the results of his physical. Baltimore’s big league club, under owner Peter Angelos, has a long history of not signing players after physical exams, though those same players have passed physicals with other teams.