2017 4th round pick (128): Jack Conlon - RHP - Clements HS (TX)

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

How did he cost us slot money?  He wanted to sign for 400k+ over slot.  It's not like he was going to sign for 100k underslot.  We took our slot savings and gave it to Cameron Bishop.  

There isn't a big drop off from Conlon to Bishop.  Plus Bishop passed our physical.  

If you don't sign a pick in the top ten rounds you forfeit the money allocated to that slot. O's had their total pool reduced by 400k.

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If you don't sign a pick in the top ten rounds you forfeit the money allocated to that slot. O's had their total pool reduced by 400k.

So if he turned down a slot offer, he would have to either accept it, negotiate anew or go to CC for a year or full time school right?  He would not have been a free agent then.

43 minutes ago, bobmc said:

So if he turned down a slot offer, he would have to either accept it, negotiate anew or go to CC for a year or full time school right?  He would not have been a free agent then.

We only had to offer him something like 140k to prevent him from becoming a free agent but we made no offer.

• Upvote 1

On 7/21/2017 at 0:31 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Well, that is true, but we lost nothing more player-wise than signing Bishop instead of Conlon.  Yes, we paid $300-400K less for Bishop, but the pool reduction cost us nothing more than whatever you perceive the difference between Conlon and Bishop is.  It isn't like Conlon would have signed for what Bishop signed for and we could have used the $400K to sign additional players.  That just isn't the case.  Besides, Bishop did pass our physical exam.

• Upvote 1

I find it interesting that Jack Conlon's Twitter account shows no indication that he has signed with the Giants.  Word came out at the beginning of the week that he had agreed to terms with the Giants pending a physical, and you'd think that would have occurred by now and the deal would be official.  I wonder if the Giants doctors have the same concerns about Conlon's arm that the O's doctors did, and the deal is being held up?  Otherwise, you'd think the deal would have been made official by now.

Conlon seems like a fairly regular tweeter, and for weeks after we drafted him, it said that he was a member of the Orioles organization.  Then it was taken off suddenly, which was the first indication that we weren't signing him.  Then when it became official he wasn't signing, he started tweeting about being excited to go to Texas A & M.  Then when it was announced he was a free agent and could sign with any team, he removed his Texas A & M status, and ever since then, it just days "HTX," for Houston, TX, where he lives.  I figured that by now, his status would have acknowledged he's a member of the Giants, but it doesn't.

I know I shouldn't even care about this anymore because we didn't sign him and signed Bishop instead, but I can't help but be intrigued by his situation because it's very unusual, not to mention the O's doctors were clearly were concerned about what they saw on his physical.  And based on the delay in making his signing official, you have to wonder if the Giants have the same concern and may not sign him, or at least will try to reduce the signing amount.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Obando said:

I find it interesting that Jack Conlon's Twitter account shows no indication that he has signed with the Giants.  Word came out at the beginning of the week that he had agreed to terms with the Giants pending a physical, and you'd think that would have occurred by now and the deal would be official.  I wonder if the Giants doctors have the same concerns about Conlon's arm that the O's doctors did, and the deal is being held up?  Otherwise, you'd think the deal would have been made official by now.

Conlon seems like a fairly regular tweeter, and for weeks after we drafted him, it said that he was a member of the Orioles organization.  Then it was taken off suddenly, which was the first indication that we weren't signing him.  Then when it became official he wasn't signing, he started tweeting about being excited to go to Texas A & M.  Then when it was announced he was a free agent and could sign with any team, he removed his Texas A & M status, and ever since then, it just days "HTX," for Houston, TX, where he lives.  I figured that by now, his status would have acknowledged he's a member of the Giants, but it doesn't.

I know I shouldn't even care about this anymore because we didn't sign him and signed Bishop instead, but I can't help but be intrigued by his situation because it's very unusual, not to mention the O's doctors were clearly were concerned about what they saw on his physical.  And based on the delay in making his signing official, you have to wonder if the Giants have the same concern and may not sign him, or at least will try to reduce the signing amount.

Maybe he learned his lesson after the situation with the O's?  Maybe the Giants asked him to refrain from posting anything until everything was final?

Or maybe he failed another physical.

13 hours ago, Obando said:

I am intrigued as well. I was certain he was signing and then suddenly not. The pitching arm is a very strange thing. 

15 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

Some churning and rumbling

https://www.mccoveychronicles.com/2017/8/2/16079742/sf-giants-minor-lines-8-1-17-where-is-jack-conlon

Either the Giants got scared by the physical as well or we are seeing a practical example of just how much the draft suppresses prospect compensation.

Sounds like the latter.

I think it's pretty clear that Conlon failed the physical with the Giants and they backed out of the deal.  It was widely reported that they had an agreement, pending Conlon taking a physical.  Then there was no confirmation that the deal was ever completed.  Then Kendall Rogers just yesterday said Conlon is going to throw a bullpen for all teams to watch him and a resolution should come soon.  Rogers is very connected to the situation because he's a Texas A & M alum, but he wouldn't confirm or deny that Conlon failed the physical with the Giants.  However, I don't know what else could have happened that killed Conlon's deal with the Giants, other than a failed physical, especially in light of the Orioles choosing not to sign him based on the results of his physical.

Conlon clearly wants to take advantage of being a free agent, rather than to go college, which is why he is continuing to try and find a deal for money as good or better than he would have received from the Orioles & Giants.  However, he's going to have to prove he's healthy before that can happen.  It should be interesting to see how this situation turns out, and how much money he ultimately signs for.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Obando said:

I think it's pretty clear that Conlon failed the physical with the Giants and they backed out of the deal.  It was widely reported that they had an agreement, pending Conlon taking a physical.  Then there was no confirmation that the deal was ever completed.  Then Kendall Rogers just yesterday said Conlon is going to throw a bullpen for all teams to watch him and a resolution should come soon.  Rogers is very connected to the situation because he's a Texas A & M alum, but he wouldn't confirm or deny that Conlon failed the physical with the Giants.  However, I don't know what else could have happened that killed Conlon's deal with the Giants, other than a failed physical, especially in light of the Orioles choosing not to sign him based on the results of his physical.

Conlon clearly wants to take advantage of being a free agent, rather than to go college, which is why he is continuing to try and find a deal for money as good or better than he would have received from the Orioles & Giants.  However, he's going to have to prove he's healthy before that can happen.  It should be interesting to see how this situation turns out, and how much money he ultimately signs for.

He's a 200k flyer.

18 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

According to the O's, he wasn't worth a 140k flyer.

I don't think that's accurate.  They knew he wouldn't accept the 140K so instead of offering it and forcing him to go back to school they foolishly did him a favor and let him become a free agent.