2017 4th round pick (128): Jack Conlon - RHP - Clements HS (TX)

13 hours ago, hoosiers said:

Let's see what Conlon gets.  Remember that it appeared the Os were going to sign Conlon for about $1M - give or take - and that Conlon has passed a physical.  I imagine Conlon is going to receive less than what he agreed to with the Os - so I think it is a bit much to say other US amateurs are going to be upset about Conlon's open market signing bonus.  

Jack Conlon

By Jeff Todd | July 17, 2017 at 8:21pm CDT

The Giants have a deal in place with prospect Jack Conlon, pending a physical, per Ken Rosenthal of MLB Network (via Twitter). 

Baltimore determined that Conlon’s physical did not pass muster. When the team declined to offer him at least 40% of the slot value of the pick with which he was chosen — in this case, $409K — he qualified for the open market.

As Baseball America’s Hudson Belinsky recently explained, Conlon was expected to command $1MM or more for a bonus.

17 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Still needs to pass the physical.  I'm not sure who leaked this to Ken but I certainly wouldn't have until the physical was finished.

I do expect him to pass the physical.

Supposedly, he needs Tommy John.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Best case scenario is the kid's fine and Angelos got scared off by a shadow.

Of course.  Here's what is likely going to happen,

The Giants will sign him.  They'll say they are confident in their physical and trust their doctors.  There's what 6 weeks left to go in the MILB season?  The kid is from HS.  He won't pitch in a competitive game until the Short Season leagues next year.  

I trust our doctors.  We just probably won't know if he's injured until this time next year.  

7 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Of course.  Here's what is likely going to happen,

The Giants will sign him.  They'll say they are confident in their physical and trust their doctors.  There's what 6 weeks left to go in the MILB season?  The kid is from HS.  He won't pitch in a competitive game until the Short Season leagues next year.  

I trust our doctors.  We just probably won't know if he's injured until this time next year.  

Our doctors saved us from a lot of garbage over the years....besides Gallardo. That was more DD's fault though

13 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Why?  Teams passed on him in the draft like 150 times.  Wouldn't they also be dumb?

No, because he would have cost them a draft pick and the slot money.  As it is the O's paid the draft pick cost for the Giants while also allowing them to avoid the cost in slot money.

• Upvote 1

On 7/19/2017 at 10:24 PM, Can_of_corn said:

No, because he would have cost them a draft pick and the slot money.  As it is the O's paid the draft pick cost for the Giants while also allowing them to avoid the cost in slot money.

How did he cost us slot money?  He wanted to sign for 400k+ over slot.  It's not like he was going to sign for 100k underslot.  We took our slot savings and gave it to Cameron Bishop.  

There isn't a big drop off from Conlon to Bishop.  Plus Bishop passed our physical.