First day surprises (and not in a good way)

Very sad to see Havens go so early. And even more sad to see Ike Davis go so early! Boy, the Mets wanted him! I was kind of hoping he might last to the 2nd round, but no such luck.

Also Allan Dykstra went a touch earlier than I'd thought too.

Any way Scheppers lasts to the 2nd round? I heard his injury wasn't considered serious. That would give us (2) solid first-round quality pitchers.

He's publicly stated he expects to QB Tennessee in the fall. And I shudder at the idea of what it would cost to sign him.

I'd target Scheppers or Ladendorf with pick #2. But if they're both off the board, I haven't any idea....maybe Darnell from S.C.

For me:

David Cooper and Allan Dykstra should not have sniffed the first.

Melville's fall. I feel he pulls a Matt Harvey and attends UNC. Shooter Hunt falling is a huge surprise.

Carlos Gutierrez. I like him but he's not a first rounder. HUGE injury concern.

Lonnie Chisenhall. Great player but has serious character problems.

Christian Friedrich will get torched in Colorado.

any chance we take ryan flaherty(vanderbilt) with our 2nd rd pick.I believe i saw he was a ss and a pretty good one at that.i saw he was projected to be selected in compensation round like a month ago but havent heard anything about him.is he slipping?

He's publicly stated he expects to QB Tennessee in the fall. And I shudder at the idea of what it would cost to sign him.

I'd target Scheppers or Ladendorf with pick #2. But if they're both off the board, I haven't any idea....maybe Darnell from S.C.

As if I needed another reason to hate the Red Sox.

The general feeling on the Tennessee football fan sights is that Kelly would sign if he's a first rounder. Otherwise, he'd probably go to UT to play football. His future is in baseball anyway, he's not projected to be an NFL prospect at QB.

Figures the A-hole Red Sox would take him with the last pick of the 1st round.

I think it's a 50/50 whether he signs or not. Fulmer is an excellent recruiter, maybe he can talk him out of it. The Vols needed a QB badly in this class too, this would sting if we lost Kelly.

Archived