Orioles 2nd round pick - CF Xavier Avery (HS)

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At first glance I thought Kieron Pope, but this guy can hit for contact and not power and Pope was the other way around. I like the odds better on Avery for that reason. You can develop power later if you put the bat on the ball. Hopefully we will get him signed and he will benefit from professional coaching.

Still a very risky pick though for a team that needs talent soon, preferably in 2010/11.

When I read his info I thought both Pope and at best Juan Pierre.

Seems like a big project. BA had him 59th with "could be an exponential improver with proper instruction and multiple at-bats in the minor leagues."

Not many raw speed HS OFers drafted by Joe Jordan in the early rounds.

Five years ago I would have been very pleased with this pick, now I get skeptical.

Interesting pick. Seems like strong upside.

From BA:

Avery is one of the fastest players in the draft and has been timed at 6.2 seconds in the 60-yard dash. However, Avery is hampered by the poor level of competition on his high school team's schedule, making him a tough player for scouts to evaluate this spring. He was visible last summer and performed well both in the East Cobb league and on the showcase circuit, leading to his being named an Aflac all-American. Avery's tools are thought to be raw, as are his instincts. However, with his speed, he is projected to be an above-average outfielder with an average arm, similar to Carl Crawford. At the plate, Avery's ability is even more of a projection. Hitting lefthanded and having above-average speed will always give Avery a chance to hit for average, but scouts feel he is still a ways away with the bat and his approach. Avery could be an exponential improver with proper instruction and multiple at-bats in the minor leagues.

More of an athlete than a baseball player.

Here's a highlight clip from MLB:

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/player/mp_tpl_3_1.jsp?w_id=701836&w=/2008/open/draft/broll/br_avery_xavier_400.wmv&mid=200805302799268&vid=11071&pid=gen_video&cid=mlb&v=2

Crazy speed.

From BA:

Avery is one of the fastest players in the draft and has been timed at 6.2 seconds in the 60-yard dash. However, Avery is hampered by the poor level of competition on his high school team's schedule, making him a tough player for scouts to evaluate this spring. He was visible last summer and performed well both in the East Cobb league and on the showcase circuit, leading to his being named an Aflac all-American. Avery's tools are thought to be raw, as are his instincts. However, with his speed, he is projected to be an above-average outfielder with an average arm, similar to Carl Crawford. At the plate, Avery's ability is even more of a projection. Hitting lefthanded and having above-average speed will always give Avery a chance to hit for average, but scouts feel he is still a ways away with the bat and his approach. Avery could be an exponential improver with proper instruction and multiple at-bats in the minor leagues.

Here's a highlight clip from MLB:

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/player/mp_tpl_3_1.jsp?w_id=701836&w=/2008/open/draft/broll/br_avery_xavier_400.wmv&mid=200805302799268&vid=11071&pid=gen_video&cid=mlb&v=2

Crazy speed.

Which is always a bad thing IMO.

From BA:

Hitting lefthanded and having above-average speed will always give Avery a chance to hit for average, but scouts feel he is still a ways away with the bat and his approach. Avery could be an exponential improver with proper instruction and multiple at-bats in the minor leagues.

I'm not liking his chances. Our minor league instruction isn't good and all our "toolsy" players have wound up being more like tools than toolsy...

My early thoughts are "Wow." The Cardinals picked Peterson a few picks later and I know one scout who thinks he's a 20-25 homer Markakis-type hitter. Avery seems like he'll be a fairly easy sign, but I thought they learned their lesson by taking Georgia HS toolsy hitters after the situation with Pope.

With an organization in need of any type of polished hitters, to take a raw HS guy in the second round is a big surprise to me.

Great find. Looks like he will sign to play baseball. Something I'm sure the Orioles determined by talking to his "people" prior to drafting him. From the video I've seen of him he looks much to small to play D1 football.

what do 2nd rounders usually get paid in order to sign?

Archived