Baseball America 2017 Midseason Top 10

Can_of_corn

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reyes is 17th on mlb.com.  Other than that, they had the same people in the top 10 except they had Santander at 9 - giving him a 55 for power.    

Re Reyes, we always give him the excuse for his age, and still - at 20 years old - I get it.  But this is the last year we give him the age out.  And it's flat out silly to put him ahead of Mullins.    

20 minutes ago, survivedc said:

What does Wells have to do to get some love?

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Throw 93.

Yep, apparently.     But I guess it's a good sign that BA thinks we have ten better prospects than Wells.

3 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Mlb.com has Wells at 16 - at the tail end of 6 straight pitchers: 

11: Bauman, 12: Sedlock, 13: Lowther, 14: Bishop, 15: Hanifee. 

If it was me, I'd put Wells first among that group.  

You can teach a guy with great stuff how to pitch.

It is hard to teach a guy who knows how to pitch how to throw great stuff.

I think his command and pitch-ability won't be enough against more advanced hitters.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think his command and pitch-ability won't be enough against more advanced hitters.

I can't argue with your logic, but with him being 20 years old, isn't there a reasonable chance that his fastball will gain a couple of mph's?  When someone performs as well as he has (in both of his seasons), I tend to look more at what he can do vs what he can't do.      

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Zach Davies says hi.    To be fair, Tony was higher on Davies than on Wells.     

I think several of the listed guys have higher ceilings than Wells, but I might rank Wells the highest in terms of probability of making it to the majors, even if he'd never be more than a back-end starter.  

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Zach Davies says hi.    To be fair, Tony was higher on Davies than on Wells.     

I think several of the listed guys have higher ceilings than Wells, but I might rank Wells the highest in terms of probability of making it to the majors, even if he'd never be more than a back-end starter.  

Didn't say it couldn't happen Frobby.  Just that I didn't think it would.

Archived