[Twitter] Astros trade was vetoed by other owner -- was it Angelos?

Enjoy Terror

4 minutes ago, schittenden said:

"A lot of times, the owners will veto it."  Doesn't sound to me like he's talking about something specific in that clip.  It sounds like he's implying that degree of meddling may be common.

Roch has said all owners review trades.  Two things, Angelos seems to veto them more often than not and it seems to get reported more often when it's Angelos.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Camden_yardbird said:

Roch has said all owners review trades.  Two things, Angelos seems to veto them more often than not and it seems to get reported more often when it's Angelos.

Maybe we just pay more attention when it's Angelos, because he's vetoing the trades that matter the most to us?

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I don't see any mention of what trade they were talking about -- I suppose it's reasonable to assume it was a trade with the Orioles involving Britton, but it doesn't actually say that.  

Doesn't matter to me. Angelos has done this before. I trust what the Astros brass has to say before I would trust Angelos or DD. Sorry if I offend other O's fans. I am not meaning to do that. 

Maybe the scenario is more business minded in the GM/Owner relationship.

Angelos': "Based on your suggestions, both financial and for competitive purposes, let's see what Market we create for Britton."

Dan: "How about Machado?"

Angelos: "No"

A couple weeks later...

Angelos': "bring me the offers for Britton"

Dan: "Sire" (handing papers over, bowing)

Angelos': "from your dealings how do you feel about these offers?"

Dan: "they're competitive however these are not necessarily their best guys. We could have gotten more for him if we had traded him in the offseason."

Angelos': "could he return to Peak market value?"

Dan: "if he continues to pitch like he did last outing, absolutely."

Angelos': "Retain him! Consider the trade vetoed!"

Dan: "As you wish, my Lord." (Head bowed, slowly retreating from the room)

Dan to Stros: "Sorry guys, boss said no"

2 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Angelos': "Based on your suggestions, both financial and for competitive purposes, let's see what Market we create for Britton."

A couple weeks later...

Dan: "they're competitive however these are not necessarily their best guys. We could have gotten more for him if we had traded him in the offseason."

Well done.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Just stating again, this may not have actually been the Orioles.

Yes it is the obvious place to look first but that doesn't make it a true.

Come on Can. You know Mr. Angelos has meddled before. Sorry Can but I trust was the Stros owner has to say before I would trust Angelos and Sons. 

Just now, Tx Oriole said:

Come on Can. You know Mr. Angelos has meddled before. Sorry Can but I trust was the Stros owner has to say before I would trust Angelos and Sons. 

But he didn't say it was the Orioles; that's the point.   

55 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

Context? I'm guessing it's the Astros GM? 

17 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

Guess 2012-2016 didn't happen

Of course they counted. But that's the past. Peter Angelos may believe the O's have a chance this season. I think that is wishful thinking. He should have allowed trades for prospects. I am more concerned about 2018 and 2019.

8 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Oh I certainly think it Angelos.

It fits in what we have heard over the years and the Astros were linked to Britton yesterday.

But that doesn't mean it was Angelos.

20 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

A couple weeks later...

Remember, Syd Thrift's Razor stipulates that we must read as much menace and incompetence as possible into any report.

3 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Obviously Crane was apprised on trade dealings, and probably had say on whether they would go through.  I'm not defending Angelos (I guess I am in this instance) but the practice seems to be industry standard. 

It's not the best practice for the owner to be involved.  I don't know who the Cardinals owner is and I would say they are one of the better run personnel departments (felony charges aside).  I would prefer that Angelos keep out of things but at the same time we hear about it more, and it gets leaked more because teams want to put pressure on the other guy for a failed business transaction.  So why not do that when presumption is already against the Orioles.  I don't trust Crane more than any other owner.

Archived