New details emerging about the massive fail at the Trade Deadline

Sir_Loin

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, billw76 said:

After reading that article it sounds to me like the Astros were trying to get Britton, Hand and Darvish for little to nothing. If the Rangers felt the offer for Darvish was non competitive, I can only imagine that DD and Angelos probably felt similar about the offer for Britton.

If you add in they didn't want to move 2-7 of their top prospects, and the possible medical rumors, I'm glad Dan stuck to his guns and didn't move Britton for basically pennies on the dollar. 

If Duquette didn't find an offers or three that he wanted there would be no reason to go to the owner.

2 minutes ago, TouchemAll said:

Well Houston when you BP imploads your playoff run don't come crying here. Even DD isn't dumb enough to unload Britton for a Brach price.

When your top All Star pitcher calls out the FO that say's it all to me.

Maybe they claim Verlander. 

You can't make "six to seven players unavailable" in a trade and expect to get the best reliever available at the deadline. I'm glad we didn't trade Zach if we weren't getting a legit top prospect. We can always trade him this offseason or next deadline if we are out of it.

Things I learned that I did not know and what I think.

1. Beckham thanked Brady.  We can't read much into this.  Brady is obviously working in an assistant GM role so he is probably the one who contacted Beckham while Dan was still working the phone.

2.  The Astros failed to make a deal with two different teams for top end relievers and the list of potential off limit prospects was possibly up to 7!  Well, the Astros sound like they weren't serious and overplayed their position maybe because they over value their prospects or maybe because they over value their position.  This is the team that publically said last year they were going to hold back McCullers innings so they had him for the postseason, and did that in spring training (they missed the playoffs).  Presumptive much?  Sounds like a clash of two teams bad at making deals and the Astros trying to lay some blame.  My educated guess on the surprise reliever would be Rasiel Iglesias.

3.  The cubs were involved but knew what they were dealing with.  Non starter, they didn't have the prospects.

4.  The Orioles "went dark" with the Astros.  Here's how this goes.  Dan gets an offer, hands it off to an assistant for evaluation (medical or otherwise) and say "I'm going to go call Tampa on the Beckham deal."  The Astros don't need a play by play at that point of the evaluation.  This is not a big deal to me. 

Bottom line, if the market for top end relievers was the same as last year Britton would be closing for a different team right now.  But it wasn't, due largely to the Astros not moving top talent and the Dodgers trying to keep their top 2 whilst acquiring three players.  I don't know why Arizona was not in the mix and we know why the nationals weren't.  The Orioles could compete this year but they still need to do the right thing and sell in the off season.

2 hours ago, Cumberbundy said:

But what was offered was accepted by Dan ? 

I wonder if there wasn't some miscommunication there. DD says, "We are interested. Would you let us look at the medicals?"; Houston GM hears "We have a deal pending medicals".

23 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

If Duquette didn't find an offers or three that he wanted there would be no reason to go to the owner.

I disagree. They may not have been offers he liked, but I'm gonna assume that Angelos wants all deals like this ran through him, especially if questionable medicals are involved because we all know that not everyone will pass the Orioles physical.

It said that the Dodgers turned down a lesser offer from the Astros for Darvish, would you be willing to take less than what they got for Darvish for Britton, I doubt I would. 

If it's true they had as many as 7 guys unavailable thats not leaving much IMO. Let's assume Moran was the questionable medical player, I wouldn't want an deal centering on him and other guys 8 and lower, to me that's not enough for Britton because he's not a rental.

21 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Things I learned that I did not know and what I think.

1. Beckham thanked Brady.  We can't read much into this.  Brady is obviously working in an assistant GM role so he is probably the one who contacted Beckham while Dan was still working the phone.

2.  The Astros failed to make a deal with two different teams for top end relievers and the list of potential off limit prospects was possibly up to 7!  Well, the Astros sound like they weren't serious and overplayed their position maybe because they over value their prospects or maybe because they over value their position.  This is the team that publically said last year they were going to hold back McCullers innings so they had him for the postseason, and did that in spring training (they missed the playoffs).  Presumptive much?  Sounds like a clash of two teams bad at making deals and the Astros trying to lay some blame.  My educated guess on the surprise reliever would be Rasiel Iglesias.

3.  The cubs were involved but knew what they were dealing with.  Non starter, they didn't have the prospects.

4.  The Orioles "went dark" with the Astros.  Here's how this goes.  Dan gets an offer, hands it off to an assistant for evaluation (medical or otherwise) and say "I'm going to go call Tampa on the Beckham deal."  The Astros don't need a play by play at that point of the evaluation.  This is not a big deal to me. 

Bottom line, if the market for top end relievers was the same as last year Britton would be closing for a different team right now.  But it wasn't, due largely to the Astros not moving top talent and the Dodgers trying to keep their top 2 whilst acquiring three players.  I don't know why Arizona was not in the mix and we know why the nationals weren't.  The Orioles could compete this year but they still need to do the right thing and sell in the off season.

You guys are making a lot of assumptions. Fact is, no one has more ammo than the Cubs to get anyone deal done. Will it have to come from the MLB roster? Yeah, but some of these guys are barely getting ABs as it is. So while it's not as likely, to write it off entirely is a mistake.

15 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I want to know what the original poster think the "massive fail" was.

It appears he thinks "going dark" was the massive fail. That is only a fail if there was something to talk about, but Houston took their top guys off the table. Not sure what anyone expects to have been accomplished if DD picked up the phone during that period. 

11 hours ago, Lucky_13 said:

Rosenthal will be eating his words come October anyways

Has Rosenthal ever eaten his words?

Maybe more to the point, has he ever felt the need to?  The average consumer of media these days remembers stuff for about 15 minutes.  Most guys like Ken Rosenthal simply ignore accountability questions and return to their agenda from a different direction.  

1 hour ago, VeveJones007 said:

Even if Angelos said no to a potential deal, that does not necessarily indicate "interference." It's standard practice for the GM to present the owner with the best offer, provide a projection on what that offer would mean for 2017 and beyond, and then it's the owner's decision about whether or not he wants to sacrifice 2017 chances for future gains. 

Whether or not you would agree with Angelos in that scenario if fine, but it wouldn't indicate interference or meddling. The boss sets the strategic goals for an organization.

But the owner's approval is generally a rubber stamp, because the GM and owner have already had budget discussions.  Otherwise, you don't have time to make trade deadline trades - and no team's going to waste their time talking to you.   

Yea, this article actually makes me much happier about our decision not to trade Britton.  And it also works in our favor as far as trade negotiations are concerned this off season I think.  Houston and Chicago tried to take advantage of what they perceived was a weak, desperate, and confused front office, and it backfired on them.  Teams in pursuit of Britton this off-season will hopefully be less inclined to low-ball us, or they simply won't waste Duquette's time with a low-ball offer.

As for Luhnow getting criticism, I also don't blame him for holding tightly to his prospects.  His core of players are pretty much all ridiculously young and the Astros window is still WIDE open (like 5 or 6 years wide.)  Why jump the gun now?  In two years they will most likely be better off for not having gotten rid of their top guys.  Would Britton have moved the needle for them this year?  Maybe.  But they can still trade for him next year too.  Basically, they have the luxury to wait and see a litlte bit.

Archived