New details emerging about the massive fail at the Trade Deadline

Sir_Loin

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

What words will he be eating, exactly?    This is a pretty factual article and he doesn't really express an opinion on whether the O's should have traded Britton, he just reports how the negotiations proceeded.    It's a good piece of journalism.     

That was more of a joke since at this point all you can do is hope the Orioles go on a run. I like Rosenthal quite a bit and agree that it's a good article, although I would have liked to know what the injuries to prospects were before just saying "typical Orioles physical" which is what he implies. 

Like I said, I like Rosenthal and think he's a very good writer. But he seems to revel in it when the orioles do something perceived as stupid so he can take it out on Angelos. Some of the other national writers do this as well.  I'm not saying its an overall agenda like some people think. It's not like he works at WNST or something. 

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, joelala said:

As for Luhnow getting criticism, I also don't blame him for holding tightly to his prospects.  His core of players are pretty much all ridiculously young and the Astros window is still WIDE open (like 5 or 6 years wide.)  Why jump the gun now?  In two years they will most likely be better off for not having gotten rid of their top guys.  Would Britton have moved the needle for them this year?  Maybe.  But they can still trade for him next year too.  Basically, they have the luxury to wait and see a litlte bit.

They have pitching issues. I agree they look loaded. I think being in same division as Texas hurt them with Darvish. I think they needed to do more. 

Just now, eddie83 said:

They have pitching issues. I agree they look loaded. I think being in same division as Texas hurt them with Darvish. I think they needed to do more. 

Agreed, but I understand their thinking.

1 minute ago, joelala said:

Agreed, but I understand their thinking.

On paper there is a good chance they may be at a starting pitching disadvantage every game in the playoffs except for when DK starts and he has had injury issues. Fiers will be a key for them in October. 

Yea they won't win this year.  Next year, IMO.  Also Springer and Correa both being out with injuries right now may have also influenced the decision to wait and go all-in when the team is healthier in a future season. 

33 minutes ago, joelala said:

As for Luhnow getting criticism, I also don't blame him for holding tightly to his prospects.  His core of players are pretty much all ridiculously young and the Astros window is still WIDE open (like 5 or 6 years wide.)  Why jump the gun now?  In two years they will most likely be better off for not having gotten rid of their top guys.  Would Britton have moved the needle for them this year?  Maybe.  But they can still trade for him next year too.  Basically, they have the luxury to wait and see a litlte bit.

I understand that, I also think the cubs last year were in the exact same spot with a big window, made the big deal and won it all.  I think that's what Keuchel is looking at.

How is what Rosenthal wrote anything breaking or inside information? He danced all around the topic and all we know from it is what we already knew. The Orioles didn't like what teams were offering them. 

Maybe the Orioles were trying to light a fire under the team. It seems to have worked for now. And if the season does flame out, Britton, Brach, and Machado can be traded. If Castillo does opt to stay, he can be dealt too. It's not like he will be owed a lot for a team needing a C. 

Nothing in this article has me furious, because it's just re-hashed information. Kind of on par with what Ken Rosenthal usually puts out there.

17 hours ago, Sir_Loin said:

Not at liberty to say right now, but later tonight or tomorrow new details will be brought to light about what happened Monday, and how the Orioles kept Britton vs trading him. You guys should enjoy this one. 

-Loin

This tease and the resulting article is a bit of a let down.  The article is good, so thanks for giving everyone notice.  I am also glad to know that someone here is pals with Ken Rosenthal.  I think the article is well written, but I do not know that I would say that is brings new details to light on how the Orioles kept Britton vs trading him...at least not as teased.  

The headline sounds very much like the Orioles made a mistake and were likely even in the wrong.  The article, by someone who rarely fails to take a shot at the Orioles, and certainly would not pass if one is deserved, does not do so in this case and without providing details, at least seems to make the case that the Orioles brass at the top did its job well and that the owner fully supported the teams efforts.  

12 hours ago, gfrank said:

I can't speak about what it was the Astros or Dodgers offered, but I'm completely comfortable with Dan letting the Cubs walk away from that deal if they really thought Wilson and Britton were "equal targets". The streets would be running red with blood if our haul for Britton was what the Tigers got for Wilson.

I don't know how far in the minority I am, but I don't particularly care that they didn't move some of our relief talent, particularly seeing some of the frankly underwhelming returns other premium players were getting this year. With how much money is being freed up this off-season, and how much interesting starting pitching talent is available this off-season, I'd like to see them take take a serious shot at it again next year. We could have chipped away at one of our greatest current strengths for future talent, and in a couple years you might be able to argue that doing so would have been the wiser move, but doing so would have compromised our chances for next year.

The ball will completely be in Dan Duquette's court this off-season and next season, though. You can't stand still like this at the trade deadline and not be pretty aggressive in 2018.

Well hold on. Dan didn't improve the pitching last offseason so what makes you think he will this offseason? Everyone's happy now cause the O's are on a 5 game winning streak. What if they had been on a losing streak? What would fans be saying about DD at the trade deadline now? 

12 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Well hold on. Dan didn't improve the pitching last offseason so what makes you think he will this offseason? Everyone's happy now cause the O's are on a 5 game winning streak. What if they had been on a losing streak? What would fans be saying about DD at the trade deadline now? 

I am disappointed we could not leverage our bullpen into some starting pitching.  But it seems that we tried and did not get close to the value that would have made those types of moves good for us.  That is totally different than saying we failed to improve our pitching going into the season.  I wrote early that Tillmans injury was going to be a bigger deal than David Prices early season injury.  NOT because I think Tillman is better than Price, but because we simply had no margin for error.  We did not know about Tillman until spring training, but the Orioles knew in December.  In my opinion we had to do something in case every pitcher we had failed to have a career year.  We did not.

All of that said, I think DD made a good attempt at the deadline and the rest of this year and offseason will define his legacy here.  I also think that if Peter A plans to keep him he needs to act sooner rather than later.  And of course the same if he plans to not keep him.  

The Orioles have a good team.  Its certainly not perfect.  And what happens in the next 12-18 months will have a big impact on the future.  Given some of the assumptions we and the media make about our owner, GM, Manager and the always interesting Brady Anderson....it's going to be a ride.  Hopefully one worth hanging on for...

13 hours ago, VeveJones007 said:

The Cubs didn't have the pieces to get Britton, so whatever Epstoyer.

Yes, it's frustrating that the O's move at a slower pace with physicals, but their track record is darn good. Nothing in that article  is really new or upsetting.

Well said, I hope the CHC's decision backfires and it costs the a chance to repeat.  

3 hours ago, billw76 said:

I disagree. They may not have been offers he liked, but I'm gonna assume that Angelos wants all deals like this ran through him, especially if questionable medicals are involved because we all know that not everyone will pass the Orioles physical.

It said that the Dodgers turned down a lesser offer from the Astros for Darvish, would you be willing to take less than what they got for Darvish for Britton, I doubt I would. 

If it's true they had as many as 7 guys unavailable thats not leaving much IMO. Let's assume Moran was the questionable medical player, I wouldn't want an deal centering on him and other guys 8 and lower, to me that's not enough for Britton because he's not a rental.

Me thinks your way wrong.... the report said that they had agreed in principle. Why would Duquette agree in principle to a deal he wasn't prepared to accept. I'm quite sure the process is go ahead and get a deal that you like and bring it for approval.

1) I like the package but I need Petes approval 

2) Pete said not without Whitley or Tucker. Ok don't want to do that ... how about we add Fisher? Sounds good I agree ... let me ask Peter

3) no Peter said not good enough.  He said he really likes Tucker and Whitley. How about we offer F Perez ? ... like it let me ask Peter

4) Pete said not enough ... we really like Whitley and Tucker. Ok how about we do Perez , replace Calhoun with Moran and the two others. Love it ... let me clear it with the boss

5) Pete said he's concerned with Moran's head trauma. So no! We have decided to keep Britton sorry 

3 hours ago, joelala said:

Yea they won't win this year.  Next year, IMO.  Also Springer and Correa both being out with injuries right now may have also influenced the decision to wait and go all-in when the team is healthier in a future season. 

I am not so sure. I hope they do. I'm an O's fan first but I know the O's are not going to go to the WS.

3 hours ago, joelala said:

You never give up a shot at the WS no matter how wide their window.. I wanted Martes, Whitley and Davis for Brtton. That wouldn't have killed them. Hope it comes back to bite them.

27 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Me thinks your way wrong.... the report said that they had agreed in principle. Why would Duquette agree in principle to a deal he wasn't prepared to accept. I'm quite sure the process is go ahead and get a deal that you like and bring it for approval.

1) I like the package but I need Petes approval 

2) Pete said not without Whitley or Tucker. Ok don't want to do that ... how about we add Fisher? Sounds good I agree ... let me ask Peter

3) no Peter said not good enough.  He said he really likes Tucker and Whitley. How about we offer F Perez ? ... like it let me ask Peter

4) Pete said not enough ... we really like Whitley and Tucker. Ok how about we do Perez , replace Calhoun with Moran and the two others. Love it ... let me clear it with the boss

5) Pete said he's concerned with Moran's head trauma. So no! We have decided to keep Britton sorry 

I am thinking Pete meddles too much. 

Archived