Will you be pleased with this season if...

Bahama O's Fan

Which of the following is the MINIMUM it would take for you to be pleased with this season. Pick one only please.

A. We have a winning record

B. We make the playoffs

C. We host a playoff game

D. We make it past the wildcard

E. We make it to the ALCS

F. We make it to the World Series

G. We win it all

For me, there are different degrees of satisfaction.    Generally speaking, though, I'd be disappointed with anything short of winning the wild card game, especially assuming that the WC opponent is the Yankees.    I won't be fully satisfied unless we win it all, but winning the crazy WC race and then sending the Yankees home definitely would bring a degree of satisfaction.    

I have to go with (A), because I predicted before the season that they'd finish around 78-84. They didn't really make the moves along the way to make me feel like this was a year they could really compete with the better clubs, so with a winning record I would be satisfied. Of course I want to see them in the postesason, but I just don't see it (or don't see them advancing beyond a one-game playoff). Too many offensive holes, the rotation is awful and the bullpen is nowhere near the formidable force it once was. 

I don't think we're in for a long playoff run. That said, I will be pleased with this season if we come out of it confident that several players who were not on the team at the beginning of the season can be expected to be contributors next season. An off-season in which all we need to add are 2 starting pitchers and a utility infielder could be a beautiful thing, especially with Tillman, Miley and Ubaldo coming off the books.

All the way in 2018, baby!

I'll be satisfied if they sign Manny.    This team is not built to win the WS.   So it matters more what the future is than what they do in the playoffs.  I would like to see them finish with a winning record which in not a given considering that the Indians and the Yankees at home are both steamrollers.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I'll be satisfied if they sign Manny.    This team is not built to win the WS.   So it matters more what the future is than what they do in the playoffs.  I would like to see them finish with a winning record which in not a given considering that the Indians and the Yankees at home are both steamrollers.

They will not likely sign Manny. I can't see him getting to within1 year of FA and not testing it. 

As far as the season, I'll be satisfied if they win more than the 77 or so games that I predicted before the season. It is astonishing that they are where they are with this pitching staff. 

7 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

They will not likely sign Manny. I can't see him getting to within1 year of FA and not testing it. 

As far as the season, I'll be satisfied if they win more than the 77 or so games that I predicted before the season. It is astonishing that they are where they are with this pitching staff. 

What if the O's sign Manny and his best friend Jonathan to long term contracts.  Where else Manny going to get that?

4 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Which of the following is the MINIMUM it would take for you to be pleased with this season. Pick one only please.

A. We have a winning record

B. We make the playoffs

C. We host a playoff game

D. We make it past the wildcard

E. We make it to the ALCS

F. We make it to the World Series

G. We win it all

À would be okay by me. 

57 minutes ago, wildcard said:

What if the O's sign Manny and his best friend Jonathan to long term contracts.  Where else Manny going to get that?

That would be at least a $50 million commitment per year. Then you start adding in the other salaries and it becomes hard to see how they an field a competitive team. I hope they sign them but I'm skeptical of it getting done.

Archived