Drew Smyly

Brion McClanahan

MLB Trade Rumors has Drew Smyly as a potential non-tender from the Mariners. I don't see it happening because he is still cheap, but if so, the Os should be all over trying to get him. He is a SO pitcher who has pitched well against every team in the AL East, and he won't be as expensive as some of the other names on the market.

That said, why would the M's balk at around 6-7 mil for this guy? Am I missing something?

4 minutes ago, Brion McClanahan said:

MLB Trade Rumors has Drew Smyly as a potential non-tender from the Mariners. I don't see it happening because he is still cheap, but if so, the Os should be all over trying to get him. He is a SO pitcher who has pitched well against every team in the AL East, and he won't be as expensive as some of the other names on the market.

That said, why would the M's balk at around 6-7 mil for this guy? Am I missing something?

...he's coming off Tommy John surgery and is slated to miss the first half of the season. 

14 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

...he's coming off Tommy John surgery and is slated to miss the first half of the season. 

I've read where he might miss the entire season.  12-15 months from a June surgery.  Mid season would be best case.

Still, I'd consider giving him a 2 yr deal and shelve him in 2018.

23 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Are the Orioles really a team that has the luxury of signing a player who might possibly miss all of 2018? Also, when have they shown that kind of foresight? 

They've signed damaged goods pitchers plenty of times.  J. Santana one year......there was also that Japanese pitcher that we rehabbed and later went to Chicago.

Hasn't paid off yet for us but that doesn't mean you stop trying.

1 minute ago, Aglets said:

They've signed damaged goods pitchers plenty of times.  J. Santana one year......there was also that Japanese pitcher that we rehabbed and later went to Chicago.

Hasn't paid off yet for us but that doesn't mean you stop trying.

They have a GM and manager who have one year left on their contracts and their starting rotation for 2018 is in taters. I don't think signing a pitcher who "might" contribute this season is going to be on the top of their priority list. Signing someone like Smyly is a luxury good teams have. The Orioles, as constructed, are not a good team. 

14 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Dylan Bundy and many others have had TJS. 

Its a matter on how long it will take him to be effective again.   The 2nd half of 2017 is probably the time when he works himself back into shape.   Extends his innings.  He is probably not a good fit for a team that want to contend in 2018.    He may be a good pitcher in 2019.

Archived