Cashner signing

jcaponio

48 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Gallardo put up a 4.1 in 2015.

Gallardo's season with us was better than Tillman's, Miley's and Jiminez's 2017.   He doesn't have to be great to be an improvement.  Figure we need at least 6 starters this year. He is bound to be better than whomever would have been our 6th starter if we hadn't signed him.

Just now, cimota said:

Gallardo's season with us was better than Tillman's, Miley's and Jiminez's 2017.   He doesn't have to be great to be an improvement.  Figure we need at least 6 starters this year. He is bound to be better than whomever would have been our 6th starter if we hadn't signed him.

Once again I don't have a problem with the signing.  It isn't big money and they had a pretty glaring need.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, TradeAngelos said:

Wait so you are complaining we signed a starting pitcher for 8m a year? And using Ynoa as an example? Lord. 

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that I think that Ynoa deserves a spot in the starting rotation... My point is simply, for a team with so few resources, why would you spend $8M for the same production as someone you already have? 

We aren't talking about someone like Guthrie or Miguel Gonzalez who seem to consistently outperform their peripherals. I think you can probably count on one hand the number of guys (there's a Reddit post saying it's NEVER been done) who even came close to repeating that kind of "luck".

So what does this tell us about the Orioles plans for the offseason? I still feel like they are totally winging it. They're clearly more interesting in less years for pitchers to minimize risk and to set up the next GM decently. 

Are they done? Or will it be a standard Duquette offseason where he tends to spend the money that's available? How much money is available? Who knows.

The next move, if any, will say a lot. If they stand pat here with the pitching, then they won't have convinced me that they have a real plan.

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

So what does this tell us about the Orioles plans for the offseason? I still feel like they are totally winging it. They're clearly more interesting in less years for pitchers to minimize risk and to set up the next GM decently. 

Are they done? Or will it be a standard Duquette offseason where he tends to spend the money that's available? How much money is available? Who knows.

The next move, if any, will say a lot. If they stand pat here with the pitching, then they won't have convinced me that they have a real plan.

If the next signing is Tillman if will not tell us much.