What If Tillman Gets Hammered in Spring Training?

mdbdotcom

So the Orioles win again....against Lynn.  That's the final result right?

Finisher...Angelos is quirky, he forces things that make the Orioles look bad...he is willing to spend sometimes, and sometimes he is not.  I have no doubt that he was told the 3M investment in Tillman could return nothing.  It is too early to determine that Tillman was as good as he gets today.  I think today was a bad day, but Tillman will get 2-3 more starts and he should.  He will not throw like he did today 3 more times and go north.  Today was a bad day that looked better than it was.  No one will argue or cover if he does not show improvement.  IMHO 

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, foxfield said:

So the Orioles win again....against Lynn.  That's the final result right?

Finisher...Angelos is quirky, he forces things that make the Orioles look bad...he is willing to spend sometimes, and sometimes he is not.  I have no doubt that he was told the 3M investment in Tillman could return nothing.  It is too early to determine that Tillman was as good as he gets today.  I think today was a bad day, but Tillman will get 2-3 more starts and he should.  He will not throw like he did today 3 more times and go north.  Today was a bad day that looked better than it was.  No one will argue or cover if he does not show improvement.  IMHO 

I basically agree with everything here. 

12 minutes ago, foxfield said:

So the Orioles win again .......against Lynn. That's the final result, right?

o

That's obviously not all that matters.

But when the Orioles DO lose a lot of Spring Training games, it gets discussed (and is occasionally given at least some mild significance) and/or gets sarcastically joked about as opposed to when they win Spring Training games.

For example:

o

Just now, OFFNY said:

o

That's obviously not all that matters.

But when the Orioles DO lose a lot of Spring Training games, it gets discussed (and given at least some mild significance) as opposed to when they win Spring Training games.

For example:

o

Of course, I was mainly tamping down the hysteria.  Tillmans less than good start should be highlighting the total lack of depth at starting pitching that we have.  Assuming that Gausman, Bundy, Cashner, Tillman and Wright is the rotation and that one of the AAAA or Rule 5 guys fill in still leaves the O's where they have been for some time.  In need of some experienced, successful, inning eating pitcherS.

Of course as DD said some time ago, lord knows where it's coming from.

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

Yeah, I’m waiting on video of the arm slot before I get too worked up. If he’s not back to the pre-injury slot I think it’s insane that they gave him guaranteed money. If he is back to the old slot and gets back to his old velocity I’m more than willing to write this one and all of his spring training outings off.

Um yeah. Could have been just trying to get his footing today. Otoh, this may have been a pipe dream. I hope not, but I’m a pragmatist, too. It just doesn’t seem likely.

Then, look at his opposition today on the mound. How is it possible they couldn’t come up with a very savvy (maybe they offer Lynn another year, or an option, or both!) deal that worked for the team and Lynn. The Phillies got creative with their offer to Arrieta. 

I am starting to believe Tillman as the #4 option and in-house competition for the last spot was the plan. I’d wager a guess that no other team offered him a ML deal. I would have been fine with a MiL offer.

2 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Of course, I was mainly tamping down the hysteria.  Tillmans less than good start should be highlighting the total lack of depth at starting pitching that we have.  Assuming that Gausman, Bundy, Cashner, Tillman and Wright is the rotation and that one of the AAAA or Rule 5 guys fill in still leaves the O's where they have been for some time.  In need of some experienced, successful, inning eating pitcherS.

Of course as DD said some time ago, lord knows where it's coming from.

o

OK, gotcha.

Sorry if I misunderstood your comment.

I would trade today's win for Tillman pitching well in a second.

o

1 minute ago, amdcpus said:

Buck doesn't find 6 walks and 3 hits in 2 innings concerning?

The performance stunk.  Buck did not say it wasn't concerning.  He said it was not encouraging NOR was it discouraging.  I am pretty sure Buck is one of two things.....

Either he is completely disappointed because this is not what he has seen from Tillman all spring, but it's still just one outing....

Or, today was exactly what he has looked like all spring.  

Either way, Buck isn't likely to say much about it today.

8 minutes ago, amdcpus said:

Buck doesn't find 6 walks and 3 hits in 2 innings concerning?

Buck lobbied to bring Tillman back so no surprise he's not critical.

Also interloper, it was confirmed when we signed Tillman he had minor league offers with the Tigers and Blue Jays.

Archived