2018 Chris Tillman

Il BuonO

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

This seems like the longest “rehab” stint ever?  It hasn’t been 30 days yet?  I just don’t see why we would let him make another start for this team?  

If manny is traded before the break, send Chris to Nationals park as our rep. 

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

This seems like the longest “rehab” stint ever?  It hasn’t been 30 days yet?  I just don’t see why we would let him make another start for this team?  

Actually, Tillman’s rehab stint started on June 20, so this could last two more starts before the O’s have to fish or cut bait.    He’s shown nothing that suggests he should be reinstated to the big league team, but the O’s clearly are going to let him exhaust his opportunities before making a decision.     I’d like to think this is more about professional courtesy than actual consideration of his return to our roster.   

3 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

I just don't get why DD doesn't release him. After all he is Bucks boss. Well in a normal atmosphere he is but maybe not Oriole Land. This is why I get so damn frustrated with this organization. Things are done backwards it seems. The GM answers to the Manager and they in turn answer to Brady while they answer to an owner that is and has been out of touch with reality for years. IMO 

August has always been a tough month for starters.  A lot of injuries.   They don't release Chris because they are paying him and there could come a point where injuries happen to the pitching staff and Chris is pitching well enough to fill in.   Look what has already happened to Bleier and O'Day.     No warning that we were aware of  as fans on Bleier.  He just made  a pitch and then needed surgery.

I can't imagine what it's like to be one of these guys.  Not knowing when to retire.  I don't resent anyone hanging onto a career but he hasn't shown anything except that he is done.  And if he wants to fight that, as a human, I get it.  But eventually you have to reckon with the fact you have one job and you're not good at it which means you have no job after the contract is up.

So many of the guys who are drafted were HS or college studs playing at incomparable levels to their age peers.  Throwing 15-20 MPH harder with infinitely better secondary pitches vs. kids just trying to make varsity.  No matter if it was the 1st round or 50th.  If you were drafted ANYWHERE in the MLB draft you were a man among boys.  If you made a top prospect list you were a superman among pretenders.  And if you escaped the minors to play actual major league baseball, you must've felt like a god.  And then if you had actual success, you held onto a major league roster spot, you played huge games, AND you actually headed a rotation, you must've felt invincibility.

All this to say, who would be capable of genuflection after hitting those heights?  Would Tillman be capable of stopping himself, or retiring, after playing at that level?  Maybe but probably not.  I wouldn't.  It's up to front office personnel to make painful decisions which hurt company men like Tillman.  It'd be gross to bring him up and demoting someone more worthy of a roster spot, which is basically anyone.  He won't be traded for anyone and he could pitch 8 straight perfect games after the trade deadline without bringing back a player, before becoming a free agent.  I'd play Hess before him, or Yacabonis, or tonight's fan of the game, or literally anyone.  He's in A+ getting rocked as a 30-something.  There's no upside to himself or the team.  Just end this charade.

1 hour ago, Barnaby Graves said:

I can't imagine what it's like to be one of these guys.  Not knowing when to retire.  I don't resent anyone hanging onto a career but he hasn't shown anything except that he is done.  And if he wants to fight that, as a human, I get it.  But eventually you have to reckon with the fact you have one job and you're not good at it which means you have no job after the contract is up.

So many of the guys who are drafted were HS or college studs playing at incomparable levels to their age peers.  Throwing 15-20 MPH harder with infinitely better secondary pitches vs. kids just trying to make varsity.  No matter if it was the 1st round or 50th.  If you were drafted ANYWHERE in the MLB draft you were a man among boys.  If you made a top prospect list you were a superman among pretenders.  And if you escaped the minors to play actual major league baseball, you must've felt like a god.  And then if you had actual success, you held onto a major league roster spot, you played huge games, AND you actually headed a rotation, you must've felt invincibility.

All this to say, who would be capable of genuflection after hitting those heights?  Would Tillman be capable of stopping himself, or retiring, after playing at that level?  Maybe but probably not.  I wouldn't.  It's up to front office personnel to make painful decisions which hurt company men like Tillman.  It'd be gross to bring him up and demoting someone more worthy of a roster spot, which is basically anyone.  He won't be traded for anyone and he could pitch 8 straight perfect games after the trade deadline without bringing back a player, before becoming a free agent.  I'd play Hess before him, or Yacabonis, or tonight's fan of the game, or literally anyone.  He's in A+ getting rocked as a 30-something.  There's no upside to himself or the team.  Just end this charade.

I agree. Release him.

Tilly is delusional.

Chris Tillman, on his performance in Frederick last night, in an interview with Steve Melewski:

"I've felt ready to pitch. I mean, I don't know. You know, I can't make up their mind. Based off that second inning, it would probably be a no. But off the rest of the game it would probably be a solid yes."

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2018/07/in-fifth-minor-league-rehab-outing-chris-tillman-allows-six-runs-at-frederick.html

This is sad to watch.  The Orioles need to put him out of his misery, because he clearly won't do it himself.  When he's cut loose, I can't even see a team signing him to a minor league deal at this point.  At this point, all he's doing is taking up innings that should be going to prospects.

Tillman’s got time for one more MiL start before his rehab assignment is up.    I fully expect the O’s to DFA him then.     He’s done nothing to warrant being recalled.    It’ll be interesting to see what Tillman does from there.    I wouldn’t be shocked to see him take a MiL assignment from the O’s.    It’s not like some other team is going to offer him a major league job.   

Just now, Frobby said:

Tillman’s got time for one more MiL start before his rehab assignment is up.    I fully expect the O’s to DFA him then.     He’s done nothing to warrant being recalled.    It’ll be interesting to see what Tillman does from there.    I wouldn’t be shocked to see him take a MiL assignment from the O’s.    It’s not like some other team is going to offer him a major league job.   

Perhaps they could bring him back for one more outing at Camden Yards as a going away present in September. 

Archived