2018 Chris Tillman

Il BuonO

Well, let me start..I have never been a Tillman fan..he frequently was out of control when things were heading South, threw too many pitches and never really showed an out pitch with two strikes on the batter. I was expecting total disaster today. Not great, but not a disaster IMO. He seemed more intense today...Maybe he has to learn to pitch, not throw.  I saw a different Tillman today (maybe just me), but one that could build on his performance after a disastrous 2017.

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Uhhhhhhh... I can’t definitively say they’re better but they’re better.

Both were terribly inconsistent at AAA last year pitching half their games in a pitchers park.  There is little reason to believe they are better now. I doubt Buck trusts either one of them.   Pretty hard to stick in the majors being in that situation.

1 hour ago, amdcpus said:

Honestly, his stats today were better than how he pitched. His pitching was awful. His breaking balls looked decent at times, but his fastball was horrific.

I thought his stats reflected pretty accurately how he pitched.

10 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Both were terribly inconsistent at AAA last year pitching half their games in a pitchers park.  There is little reason to believe they are better now. I doubt Buck trusts either one of them.   Pretty hard to stick in the majors being in that situation.

In 35 innings for us last year, Ynoa had a 4.15 ERA. Aquino was pretty bad but still has a better ERA than Tillman had last year. I say give Ynoa a shot.

7 minutes ago, amdcpus said:

In 35 innings for us last year, Ynoa had a 4.15 ERA. Aquino was pretty bad but still has a better ERA than Tillman had last year. I say give Ynoa a shot.

He will have to earn it.  Dominate at AAA.   He has not done that yet.  That would probably put him on Buck's radar.

But there is a bigger hurdle  in front of him.  If there is no spot of him on the major league roster when he comes off the DL he will have to go through waivers.   He could be traded or claimed in the near future just like Asher.

3 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

You state this as though it’s fact. It’s not. Far from a forgone conclusion.

I agree with Wildcard 110%. Tillman is better than both easily. Ynoa has 2 pitches and as Wildcard said, likely will be DFA-ed once healthy.

3 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

You state this as though it’s fact. It’s not. Far from a forgone conclusion.

Tillman is in the majors with a  3M contract.  Aquino is in the minors.  And Ynoa is on the DL.  It speaks for its self.  Out of these three who does Buck trust?

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Tillman is in the majors with a  3M contract.  Aquino is in the minors.  And Ynoa is on the DL.  It speaks for its self.  Out of these three who does Buck trust?

You said it. Tillman is being paid $3 mil. Not sure Buck ‘trusts’ him right now. Playing the hand he’s been dealt. Remember Jimenez? He was making $12 mil? Wright can influence what happens with a good performance.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Wrong.   Neither Ynoa or Aquino are better than what Tillman is right now.

24 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Whom Buck trusts is no proof of who is better. I'm not convinced that Tillman is better than minor-leaguer Aquino.

I suppose someone could argue that Tillman is better than a pitcher on the disabled list. Won't be me.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do you think he will provide value in the pen?

I'd DFA him.

No I don’t, but I don’t think they will cut him until Wright shows for a month or so that he can be at least aomething better than awful.   That and the money. 

Between last year, spring training and this year, I've seen MORE than I enough to know this doesn't end well.

It has Ubaldo 2.0 written all over it.

If we are really going for it and not trading assets, we cannot afford to let Tillman stink it up all year.

Trade for a veteran, try to sign RA Dickey, give the spot to Harvey, do anything other than let Tillman keep running out there with an 8-9 era all season.

He can't command his offspeed stuff and his fastball is toast. He's on a one year contract so he's a sunk cost already so salary should not be a concern.

We have to try to win every game we can this season with the Sox, Jays and Yankees all being pretty good and right now we are almost conceding a loss and a burned pen every fifth day.

Someone has to be an adult and make the tough decision here and if Buck won't do it then Dan needs to do it for him.

It should be blatantly obvious a miracle comeback isn't in the cards so do we stick with him the way we did last year with him and Ubaldo and let it bring us down yet again?

Enough!

It's apparent we will not win when Tillman is starting this year unless we score10 plus runs during the game.   Okay ! Go ahead and say it. That is painfully obvious! Hopefully Buck and DD will not wait too long to make a change. The sooner we get back to .500 baseball and better....... the better.

7 minutes ago, Norfolk orioles said:

Between last year, spring training and this year, I've seen MORE than I enough to know this doesn't end well.

It has Ubaldo 2.0 written all over it.

If we are really going for it and not trading assets, we cannot afford to let Tillman stink it up all year.

Trade for a veteran, try to sign RA Dickey, give the spot to Harvey, do anything other than let Tillman keep running out there with an 8-9 era all season.

He can't command his offspeed stuff and his fastball is toast. He's on a one year contract so he's a sunk cost already so salary should not be a concern.

We have to try to win every game we can this season with the Sox, Jays and Yankees all being pretty good and right now we are almost conceding a loss and a burned pen every fifth day.

Someone has to be an adult and make the tough decision here and if Buck won't do it then Dan needs to do it for him.

It should be blatantly obvious a miracle comeback isn't in the cards so do we stick with him the way we did last year with him and Ubaldo and let it bring us down yet again?

Enough!

Completely agree, Tillman is toast. Can't believe the Orioles gave him 3 million guaranteed, but at least it's not a large amount and they can just cut ties.

Archived