Chicago Sun: Cubs interested in Manny

Tony-OH

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All this talk of trading Manny is asinine. We just won a game for the first time in over a week. We might win a road game soon. Has only been about a month. Trading off your best player  at this point in the season would be wrong. We need him for the stretch run. This winning streak we are on has been fun. Bordick said the Orioles are playing good baseball. I see his point. The Orioles have looked really good for a day or at least an inning.

4 hours ago, Going Underground said:

All this talk of trading Manny is asinine. We just won a game for the first time in over a week. We might win a road game soon. Has only been about a month. Trading off your best player  at this point in the season would be wrong. We need him for the stretch run. This winning streak we are on has been fun. Bordick said the Orioles are playing good baseball. I see his point. The Orioles have looked really good for a day or at least an inning.

Best post of the day.

18 hours ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

This is how I feel.  I don't think the FO is on the same page.  We're back to total dysfunction.  That doesn't bode well for anything  good to  come from Manny or any of the other trade chips.  I almost have to laugh when I type it because what value do any of these guys have right now with the way they are playing?!  And to say that Britton has value is silly before seeing him hit the field.  We're in a debacle.  And yet again, it's been created by the Ageloses not understanding how to conduct baseball operations.

If they trade MM they need to do it before deadline day. The O's cannot make any major trade at the 11th hour the way they are set up. We all know MM will suffer an unfortunate injury before they decide what they are going to do. 

1 minute ago, pastorfan said:

If they trade MM they need to do it before deadline day. The O's cannot make any major trade at the 11th hour the way they are set up. We all know MM will suffer an unfortunate injury before they decide what they are going to do. 

They can't pivot and sign a contingency draft pick without going over the deadline.

On 5/8/2018 at 9:13 PM, wildbillhiccup said:

It was rumored they offered Baez and Montgomery for Machado in the offseason.

Do you have a source for this? I don't recall Baez ever being mentioned as part of a Manny/Cubs trade in the offseason. The names we kept hearing were Montgomery, Russell, and Almora.

1 hour ago, Bucked said:

He's coming off major injury and wasnt very good last season. Nobody is giving anything of value for Britton fresh off the DL. Your acting like the $6M is a bargain... its not.

Your fantasy returns on Machado aren't happening either tbh.

Agreed. HIs may have some value for a team that thinks he's the answer to their bullpen woes. But why would you give up anything of value for half a year of a guy who might be good?

1 hour ago, PaulFolk said:

Do you have a source for this? I don't recall Baez ever being mentioned as part of a Manny/Cubs trade in the offseason. The names we kept hearing were Montgomery, Russell, and Almora.

I went back and checked the articles (from Dec) and it was actually Russell / Montgomery. Going into the season though I think most people probably valued Russell more than Baez.  At the time I'm sure they could have gotten a Baez / Montgomery return. Now...probably not.

On 5/8/2018 at 5:37 PM, drjohnnyfeva said:

Sure, but they still parted with them.  Many clearly has them over a barrel with leveraging himself into the SS position.  I'm just not certain they have the cajones to upset what's left of the fanbase by trading him.  I hope they do, of course.  Yet, recent past experience doesn't dictate that.

Different scenarios.    MacPhail came here with a very clear mandate to rebuild, and there were no factions getting in his way.   DD was not brought in to rebuild and there’s a lot of confusion in the front office.    Plus, Manny for a partial season is different than trading for a guy who has two years of control left.   

1 hour ago, weams said:

I'm  not so sure about that.  Here's an opinion that they should push hard for Manny:

https://musingsofabaseballaddict.com/2018/05/09/the-dodgers-should-trade-for-manny-machado/

I could get behind a trade like what's being suggested in this piece.

5 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I'm  not so sure about that.  Here's an opinion that they should push hard for Manny:

https://musingsofabaseballaddict.com/2018/05/09/the-dodgers-should-trade-for-manny-machado/

I could get behind a trade like what's being suggested in this piece.

Whoever wrote this piece knows very little about the Orioles. Says Arrieta, Miller, Rodriquez, and Hader were all “unimpressive”  with the O’s. Arrieta, yes. Miller was lights out for the six weeks or so he was here. Rodriquez and Hader spentlittle and no time in the majors with th O’s. And Montcastle could “easily” move to second. I’m not sure anyone is confident he xould be competent anywhere in the field.

1 minute ago, George Zuverink said:

Whoever wrote this piece knows very little about the Orioles. Says Arrieta, Miller, Rodriquez, and Hader were all “unimpressive”  with the O’s. Arrieta, yes. Miller was lights out for the six weeks or so he was here. Rodriquez and Hader spentlittle and no time in the majors with th O’s. And Montcastle could “easily” move to second. I’m not sure anyone is confident he xould be competent anywhere in the field.

Rodriguez never played in the majors with the O’s.    But, his minor league season turned around immediately when he was traded.  Hader was in the very low minors and was very good there.   

3 minutes ago, George Zuverink said:

Agree, he's obviously a Dodger fan who isn't very informed about the Orioles, but I could still get behind the type of trade he's talking about.

Archived