should we demote Rowell?

DocJJ

He's hitting .230 with no power. I'm hearing he has attitude problems (though, I don't know if that is true...).

Maybe have him go back to Delmarva/Aberdeen to see if he can regain his stroke and give him a wake-up call?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't want to see him demoted. Just like RZNJ said, have him repeat Frederick next year. Erbe was 19 in A+ and struggled, we kept him there, and he seems to be back on track for the most part. Let Rowell take his lumps and he'll still be very young for Frederick next year.

I don't think it really matters at this point. I know he's young, but so was Jay Bruce, and so were Justin and BJ Upton. I still hope he turns it around because I hate seeing high 1st round picks wasted, especially when Lincicum was the 10th pick. Yet, what has Rowell done to make so many people on this board hold out hope that he's going to be a top flite player? Usually with top prospects you can see their greatness early and often, even if they are inconsistent. Rowell hasn't shown anything except consistently bad numbers. I've moved Rowell into the same category as Snyder; a busted high first round pick. In Jordan I trust.....ha!

I don't think it really matters at this point. I know he's young, but so was Jay Bruce, and so were Justin and BJ Upton. I still hope he turns it around because I hate seeing high 1st round picks wasted, especially when Lincicum was the 10th pick. Yet, what has Rowell done to make so many people on this board hold out hope that he's going to be a top flite player? Usually with top prospects you can see their greatness early and often, even if they are inconsistent. Rowell hasn't shown anything except consistently bad numbers. I've moved Rowell into the same category as Snyder; a busted high first round pick. In Jordan I trust.....ha!

http://minors.baseball-reference.com/players.cgi?pid=31216

Yeah, those numbers in 2006 were awful.

And honestly, last year wasn't that bad.

I think you need to cool down the overreaction and look at the numbers. He's struggling this year, but last time I checked he wasn't the first top prospect to hit a pothole along the way.

Jay Bruce is being heralded as one of the best prospects to debut in a decade, drawing comparisons to Griffey. I believe both Upton brothers were top overall picks, and neither of their games is power. They will show decent power numbers, but their other four tools are the calling cards. Power takes longer to develop, especially from a high schooler coming into the pros.

Rowell is one of the youngest players in all of A+ and his talent is obvious, it's just a matter of putting it together. And fact is, who else are we going to hope for at this point. Luis Montanez isn't going to save our offense.

Nobody on here has ever compared Rowell to Bruce or either of the Upton brothers. The three players you mentioned were all super elite prospects, and Rowell, while taken at the top of the draft, was never given the type of hype of these other players.

Do I believe that Rowell will one day be the savior of this franchise? No. Heck, I don't really even think he'll become anything more than an average third baseman in the majors at this point in his career, but I certainly won't peg him as a failure. He's young and will hit some rough patches in his career, so as long as he's in our organization, I'll have hope for him.

That question is one I said sarcastically in the press box a couple weeks ago right around the end of the first half. I think for one it would have sent him a message that's he's not all high and mighty. I'll admit that from the press box I've been extremely critical of his play, but it's because I have high expectations of him. Realistically, he's not going anywhere. He's simply going to have to grind out the rest of the season and repeat A ball next season in Frederick. That's not a bad thing, as we're all watching Erbe do that now as a 20 year old.

Rowell and Erbe are on opposite spectrums on a scale of maturity. While Erbe matured through the trials and tribulations on the field last year, and then blew us all away by revamping his mechanics, Rowell's going to have to do the same thing on the field. He's had his issues with the umpires on some strike calls (he's been ejected twice already), and supposedly there's some clubhouse issues with him as well. He's got to step up at the plate and try and help fill the massive void left by the departure of Wieters. He's got to control the urge to swing at junk breaking pitches in the dirt, and he's got to start making a more consistent effort out in the field. I think in the offseason Rowell's swing is going to be examined and go through some mechanical changes, especially on his release.

To Rowell's credit, I've seen some improvement by him in the field from the last homestand. He made a nice catch of a pop-up in foul territory Thursday night halfway towards home plate, and has made some nice plays on ground balls hit to his left. There was a hot shot grounder that caromed off his ribs last night, but he was unable to make the throw to first in time. I liked that he stayed with it. Hopefully by the end of the homestand I'll notice some improvement at the plate. He's got to start elevating the ball more because when he does it travels a long way.

As far as Rowell being a bust, I'll laugh at that a bit. He's 19 years old. At that age I was a freshman in college. It's like he's facing college seniors and minor league veterans on a nightly basis, and it's been a struggle, but he's staying afloat. He's being challenged in this league which is good for him. It'll look bad on his prospect status at the end of the season, but this is a good learning experience for him. If you want another good learning experience, take a look at Rowell's teammate Brandon Tripp, who has had to battle his butt off to find his stroke after a near month-long slump. It's too early to give Rowell and Snyder the labels of "draft bust". Maybe in 2010 or 2011 I'll agree with you, just not right now.

That question is one I said sarcastically in the press box a couple weeks ago right around the end of the first half. I think for one it would have sent him a message that's he's not all high and mighty. I'll admit that from the press box I've been extremely critical of his play, but it's because I have high expectations of him. Realistically, he's not going anywhere. He's simply going to have to grind out the rest of the season and repeat A ball next season in Frederick. That's not a bad thing, as we're all watching Erbe do that now as a 20 year old.

Rowell and Erbe are on opposite spectrums on a scale of maturity. While Erbe matured through the trials and tribulations on the field last year, and then blew us all away by revamping his mechanics, Rowell's going to have to do the same thing on the field. He's had his issues with the umpires on some strike calls (he's been ejected twice already), and supposedly there's some clubhouse issues with him as well. He's got to step up at the plate and try and help fill the massive void left by the departure of Wieters. He's got to control the urge to swing at junk breaking pitches in the dirt, and he's got to start making a more consistent effort out in the field. I think in the offseason Rowell's swing is going to be examined and go through some mechanical changes, especially on his release.

To Rowell's credit, I've seen some improvement by him in the field from the last homestand. He made a nice catch of a pop-up in foul territory Thursday night halfway towards home plate, and has made some nice plays on ground balls hit to his left. There was a hot shot grounder that caromed off his ribs last night, but he was unable to make the throw to first in time. I liked that he stayed with it. Hopefully by the end of the homestand I'll notice some improvement at the plate. He's got to start elevating the ball more because when he does it travels a long way.

As far as Rowell being a bust, I'll laugh at that a bit. He's 19 years old. At that age I was a freshman in college. It's like he's facing college seniors and minor league veterans on a nightly basis, and it's been a struggle, but he's staying afloat. He's being challenged in this league which is good for him. It'll look bad on his prospect status at the end of the season, but this is a good learning experience for him. If you want another good learning experience, take a look at Rowell's teammate Brandon Tripp, who has had to battle his butt off to find his stroke after a near month-long slump. It's too early to give Rowell and Snyder the labels of "draft bust". Maybe in 2010 or 2011 I'll agree with you, just not right now.

Hit the nail on the head.

how Rowell reacts to adversity, and how to adjust, will be the most important thing he learns. He's got to learn it now or he never will. Keep him where he is and let him learn how to acquire the mental tools he needs to succeed.

Since May 22, in 110 AB, Rowell is hitting .173/.222/.264. That's pretty dismal. I've been against demoting him, but I'd say if he doesn't snap out of it in the next 2 weeks a demotion may be in order.

Since May 22, in 110 AB, Rowell is hitting .173/.222/.264. That's pretty dismal. I've been against demoting him, but I'd say if he doesn't snap out of it in the next 2 weeks a demotion may be in order.

I went to the game last night. I didn't see the whole game and checked the box this morning. He hit a rocket his first time up. Great catch at the deepest part of the ballpark, stole at least a double from him. He hit the crap out of the ball. Maybe a demotion is in order, but the kid still can hit.

I went to the game last night. I didn't see the whole game and checked the box this morning. He hit a rocket his first time up. Great catch at the deepest part of the ballpark, stole at least a double from him. He hit the crap out of the ball. Maybe a demotion is in order, but the kid still can hit.

I was at the game last night also, he hit the ball hard in 3 out of his 4 AB's.

Just got home from tonight's game and Rowell did not look good at all. 0-3 on the night. He walked in his first at bat, but then proceeded to strike out in his next three at bats. In the 7th he struck out on a called third strike, after which Rowell proceeded to stand there for a moment with the bat on his shoulders while he gave the ump a "look". I'm not sure if he said anything or not though. After leaving the box he just tossed his hitting gear on the ground and walked to the field,making someone else bring him his glove and hat. I'm not trying to make a big deal about this(I'm only providing my interpretation of this), but I know there has been some talk about his character the past couple of weeks and just thought I would mention what I saw. I will also say that he wasn't the only Key to have issuse's or comments in regards to the home plate umpire.

The kid needs a reality check and he needs to earn his spot. He was granted a promotion to Frederick this season even though he didn't really earn it. It sounds like he is taking it for granted so the Orioles need to send him back to Delmarva until he gets his head screwed on right, if that ever happens...

Archived