Jim Palmer just threw Chris Davis under the bus

accinfo

1 hour ago, esmd said:

It's a shame that Palmer's comments basically shamed him into trying something different, and even more of a shame that he's only doing it as a "Fine, FY" type of gesture, IMO.  I doubt it sticks.

It will stick if he makes an adjustment and starts hitting .290 and hits 13 HRs in a month.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Hallas said:

It will stick if he makes an adjustment and starts hitting .290 and hits 13 HRs in a month.

His OPS is .490. Bunting won't fix that. He can't see the ball anymore. And he is a a lanky young man. 

1 hour ago, esmd said:

Wow.  That was even more pointed than his words last night, IMO.  He flat out said he's not working hard enough to get better.  Wow.  He inferred it last night, but there it is in plain English.

I like it. 

I took a look at some video between 2013 and 2017.

In 2013, he starts his swing immediately after he plants his leg from his leg kick.  In 2017, he has a little bit of a hitch after planting his leg before he starts his swing.  It's pretty subtle, but given that milliseconds matter when hitting a baseball, it seems like it could be a pretty good reason why he cannot get around on a fastball anymore.  I have a suspicion he introduced that hitch so the ball travels more when the barrel is in the hitting zone, so he doesn't pull so many balls into the shift, and so he doesn't end up early on breaking and offspeed pitches.  Assuming he still has the ability to do so, he needs to get back to his 2013 timing and forget about hitting offspeed and/or hitting against the shift.

You can see the same hitch in 2018 as well:

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/video/davis-first-homer-of-2018/c-1910247483?tid=16285926

I haven't broken out the stopwatch, but his time from first bat head movement to bat in the hitting zone seems to be pretty much the same as before.

6 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Nothing changes the fact that Davis is hitting, like, .154.  BTW, what Davis is doing this year is like, Mario Mendoza career averages.

So we can talk about who worked with who and when, Palmer and what was said last night, Davis' hurt feelings and on and on, but it's not going to get any better, anytime soon.

I feel bad for the guy.  It's gotta suck to be this bad at your job.  

When I begin to feel bad for him, even for a moment, I remind myself...as of today, Chris has made 78,575,226 dollars thus far playing this game.   AND long after he is sitting somewhere drinking margaritas....in 2037...he will get his last Orioles deferred payment and will by then have collected a grand total of 188,635,226 dollars.

After that, I don’t feel bad for Chris anymore.    We all could probably put up with quite a bit of aggravation at work for that return. 

2 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

When I begin to feel bad for him, even for a moment, I remind myself...as of today, Chris has made 78,575,226 dollars thus far playing this game.   AND long after he is sitting somewhere drinking margaritas....in 2037...he will get his last Orioles deferred payment and will by then have collected a grand total of 188,635,226 dollars.

After that, I don’t feel bad for Chris anymore.    We all could probably put up with quite a bit of aggravation at work for that return. 

Nah, no one likes to suck at their job no matter how much they're being paid.  No one likes to be an embarrassment.  

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Nah, no one likes to suck at their job no matter how much they're being paid.  No one likes to be an embarrassment.  

I don't know about suck but I have known plenty of folks that show no pride in their work.  They would rather shrug and walk away than do anything over the bare minimum.

Archived