An Alternate Watching Idea: College World Series

Orioles1954

1 hour ago, bird watcher said:

Then perhaps as part of a rule change the NCAA should deal with thus “infamous abuse” for players safety. Perhaps allow the professional teams to have some say in how the player is used?  There are ways to do this.  Where the player isn’t “infamously abused” and not allowed to sign his contract.  This sounds like a major NCAA problem to me. 

I agree that some guidelines should be in place.  Look at the workload Sedlock had his one year as a starter.  Look what the LSU coach did to big Ben back in the day.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, bird watcher said:

Zero upside?  Having a prospect play in a high leverage game with millions of people watching has no impact on his development?  This is an experience I would want my players to have. As I said in my previous post, come up with some safety measures/rules. 

Once you sign a player to a contract you have made a sizable financial investment in his long term health. Only a fool would put that investment at risk without at much control over the outcome as possible. 

Yes, there is precisely zero upside for the drafting team for the draftee to play a single inning of exhibition baseball after the selection has been made. From the drafting teams standpoint, the higher the leverage, the higher the probablity of injury to their investment. 

I love the baseball tournament more so than any other college event (including so called March Madness). The competition is tremendous and heart that these kids play with is unprecedented. Personally, I don't think that any changes are needed. The colleges have no obligation to the pro teams and vise versa. I don't think that a college team can do anything to abuse a player/pitcher after he has been drafted to cause a career ending injury. It's what they've done to them long-term that can lead to that. Teams should know that history before the draft. Let the kids play for something that they've worked for fo a long, long time and then sign. This is a solution looking for a problem to me.

3 hours ago, 24fps said:

Once you sign a player to a contract you have made a sizable financial investment in his long term health. Only a fool would put that investment at risk without at much control over the outcome as possible. 

Yes, there is precisely zero upside for the drafting team for the draftee to play a single inning of exhibition baseball after the selection has been made. From the drafting teams standpoint, the higher the leverage, the higher the probablity of injury to their investment. 

We’ll disagree that this is an “exhibition game”. We’ll agree that some controls would need to be put in place so players aren’t “abused”. Playing sports has risks. How is playing in a college World Series more risky than playing in the GCL if some protections against over use are put in place. 

I am no fool and I would want for all my prispects to experience the intense environment of play in the CWS. I have heard Buck Showalter mention the positives with players who play highly competitive college baseball so I don’t think he sees it as a meaningless exhibition game either. 

On 6/25/2018 at 8:06 AM, joelala said:

College WS is absolutely great.  I think in a lot of ways, college baseball is a more pure form of the sport.

Well, except for that aluminum bat thing...  But it has been a lot of fun to watch.  I think you'll see three great games.

Great game. If Arkansas loses tonight, those players will have to live with that foul pop the rest of their lives. For that reason alone, I hope the Hogs win tonight. 

Grenier looks like all glove and no stick to me. He had 3 hits last night, but he doesn't impress at the plate, imo. Sorry, maybe I'm not seeing it. Looks like Paul Janish to me. 

Knight looked great in Game 1 for Arkansas! 

44 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Hypothetically you draft Witt and shift Grenier to second..Knight looks like an ace in waiting.

You're assuming the O's will be bright enough to tank for the #1 slot. I'm dubious. Buck don't do that. 

I could be wrong about Grenier. I'm not a scout obviously. Just my opinion based on the eye test. 

On 6/26/2018 at 1:34 PM, OriolesMagic83 said:

Has anyone seen Grenier play?  I watched a few innings of the game against MSU, but always missed his at bats.

Looked very focused with good bat control. His bunt out of nowhere was as well placed as I've ever seen. He flew down the line for a single, driving in a run on a suicide. 

1 hour ago, jtschrei said:

You're assuming the O's will be bright enough to tank for the #1 slot. I'm dubious. Buck don't do that. 

I could be wrong about Grenier. I'm not a scout obviously. Just my opinion based on the eye test. 

If they are "bright" enough to "tank" they should lose their first round pick. 

19 minutes ago, weams said:

If they are "bright" enough to "tank" they should lose their first round pick. 

Why? The rules are the team with with the worst record gets the very 1st pick. Why would the Orioles not want the first pick? Witt could be a star. You don't want him? 

"Tanking" for me means trading veterans -- Machado, Jones, O'Day (oops), Bleier (oops), Britton (not going as planned), Cobb, Cashner -- for prospects and bringing up young guys if they are even close to ready -- Mullins, Beckham to SS, Dosch, Yacobonis. 

Ideally, the young guys have some success on the ML level for next season and we continue to move towards the #1 overall pick. 

2 minutes ago, jtschrei said:

Why? The rules are the team with with the worst record gets the very 1st pick. Why would the Orioles not want the first pick? Witt could be a star. You don't want him? 

"Tanking" for me means trading veterans -- Machado, Jones, O'Day (oops), Bleier (oops), Britton (not going as planned), Cobb, Cashner -- for prospects and bringing up young guys if they are even close to ready -- Mullins, Beckham to SS, Dosch, Yacobonis. 

Ideally, the young guys have some success on the ML level for next season and we continue to move towards the #1 overall pick. 

Tanking means trying to lose. I never want to root for that team. 

Archived